• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any machinists here ?

72Fourspeed

Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Still trying to get an adaptor without selling a kidney. Maybe get one made ? Help !!!!!!

A bit more detailed info would be nice...
No I'm not a machinist either...LOL

Sorry gang, forgot that unlike R.C., not everyone follows all my posts. LOL. I have found a $500 Gearvendor. All the electronics included. However, it was for a 4x4. I bought it not knowing that GV was so proud of the proper adaptors I need. So, I'm looking to avoid the $850 they want for one. Im thinking the place to start might be an aluminum tailhousing for an 833. But I know I'll need a machinist to make the back half of this thing.

Sorry gang, forgot that unlike R.C., not everyone follows all my posts. LOL. I have found a $500 Gearvendor. All the electronics included. However, it was for a 4x4. I bought it not knowing that GV was so proud of the proper adaptors I need. So, I'm looking to avoid the $850 they want for one. Im thinking the place to start might be an aluminum tailhousing for an 833. But I know I'll need a machinist to make the back half of this thing.

You are right. A machinist will be needed to make what you need if you can't find what you need for the price you have in mind.
However A machinist will need an engineering plan to follow. If such a thing can't be had it will have to be done from scratch. Time=$$$.

So you may need two kinds of help. Extra $$ or borrow what you need for a machinist to copy.

Do you have a picture of the $850 part you need?

Who is RC?? :D Got a pic of what you need? Never messed with the Gear Vendor OD before.....

If your serious send me a pm. I'd like to see what you need. PS a picture is worth a thousand words.

Two things....
1st.....a machinist or tool and die maker do not work for peanuts
2nd....you go the GV cheap, why not put out the money and get the adapter that is gauranteed to fit and hold up....

Going cheap seems to always jump up and bite you..

Gotta agree with everyone else, a picture of the needed part would be very helpful. Just about anything can be built, modified, etc...... it's just a matter of finding someone to do it on the cheap.

As others have said a picture would be a great help to understand the amount and kind of machining you are looking for. But -just- a picture would not be what a machinist would need to help you.

Last edited:
As others have said a picture would be a great help to understand the amount and kind of machining you are looking for. But -just- a picture would not be what a machinist would need to help you.
Machine Shop pricing will be 75 to 100 dollars per hour. So if I worked all day the price would be ~750 dollars. GV manufactures and sells a large quantities using CNC equipment producing exact parts as designed. Without drawings or at least sketches with exact dimension it would be slow go to produce what you need.
sorry to rain on your parade. just my 2 cents
pt in tennessee

As a retired machinist with 30+ years of experience, I still do some machine work from time to time and like most retired machinists that have small shade tree shops, we work fairly cheap. It's mainly because we still like doing that type of work and keeps us sharp. We usually take our time and work at our leisure and when our backs ain't killing us lol. Also, getting legit work keeps us from making illegal stuff too :D

Avoid the headaches.Sell it and find the correct one.

Avoid the headaches.Sell it and find the correct one.
If you find one, let me know. I would happily buy it. My budget doesnt allow for $3000 for a new unit specifically for the 833. The adaotor is $850 + core. That core is mine, not theirs. But like Bill Gates, our opinions differ.If anybody wants to loan theirs out, I'd have a couple built, sell them & pay for mine that way.

Last edited:
Need pics of what you have and what you want.

This is best picture I have found of what I need. To me, it looks like a tailhousing with a flange. Seens straightforward to me.

This is best pic I could find. Looks like a tailhousing with a flange.

a883_Kit.jpg

This is best pic I could find. Looks like a tailhousing with a flange.

View attachment 349372

Thanks for the picture. If what I am seeing is correct you need a tail housing with an --added flange?--The part you need?
I'm a machinist and normally I remove metal when I machine something.

Again forgive me a bit--but it looks like you need some "fabrication" to happen before machining.

If I was to do this I would need to cut/trim/prep etc- and weld a piece of matierial on to an existing tailshaft before machining. This all takes time==$$$

No matter what pre machining was done to the the part that gets welded to the tail shaft before welding.---Finish machining will be required.
I would and can do this in my home shop with your tail shaft casting + the detail specs of the finished item needed.
I am tempted to give you a price to do this but think it would --not only sound silly to you-- but would do nothing more then further illustrate my opinion that you just buy what you want and actually -save- money by doing so.
After all ---is that not your intent?--to "save" money.

BTW how many hours of your own time have you spent so far on this idea of saving money??---Just asking??:D

Last edited:
there is usually a reason things cost what they do ........ and you will end up spending it (or more) one way or another

Auto Transport Service
Back