• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any seasoned Mazda Techs on the board

:thumbsup:
superbirdcleanup2019part2 276.JPG

Slightly segueing here..... we had a '98 Toyota Caldina (Corolla type wagon) that had an annoying ABS sensor issue. If you travelled on the highway for approximately 3km or more (78 washing machines) at more than 95kph (59.5 wm/hr) the ABS sensor light would come on, and stay on until you came to a stop for more than 20 seconds. It was frustrating trying to locate which wheel, as the best of scanning tools could not identify the issue at rest.

Being a cheaper car that seldom saw highway use, it was suggested that I could fool the 6-monthly Inspections by connection the ABS warning light to the oil pressure light. That way, the ABS would show briefly, but stay off while driving....unless of course the car ran low on oil pressure. I decided not to follow that advice, and ended up selling the car a year ago. The guy who bought wasn't fussed....a cheap hack for going to work for him.

Thanks for the chuckle Roger!!! Just doing my best here to keep her in this car. With her the main bread earner as a licensed Architect and off on maternity leave and her husband going on endlessly that she needs a bigger "family" vehicle... all while he won't wake the f up and realize he's driving a full size GMC truck with rear seat and they could just use it when extra things are needed to be hauled. I've gotta get this solved and usable. For now she has MY truck with both baby car seats in it... JMJ.

On the ABS sensor testing... they are a simple ac voltage generator.. if you were Doc Browne from 1955 , you would hook up 4 ac voltmeters and drive/ watch for differences.
( or hope the new scanner will do it).
And as mentioned check resistance between sides.
If you can get at the connectors :BangHead:

On the ABS sensor testing... they are a simple ac voltage generator.. if you were Doc Browne from 1955 , you would hook up 4 ac voltmeters and drive/ watch for differences.
Actually, they are a "Hall effect" pickup. They create a frequency at specific amplitutde (voltage).

Already booked my flight to Japan so that I can kill some designer... here's the front connections where you can get one hand in to try and unclip them with zero extra length. Passenger side under the A/C lines...
20240102_171344.jpg

20240102_171337.jpg

Actually, they are a "Hall effect" pickup. They create a frequency at specific amplitutde (voltage).
Ah yes, could be. I was going by the tone ring vs encoder and the 2 wire connection.
Haven't dealt much with newer wss's they usually come with the new hubs that fail unreasonably quickly

my nagy wouldn't shift past 2nd. and scan showed speed sensors! dealer wanted to put in new axles, I told them I had new tone rings from modern muscle, they wouldn't install them! so I did , problem solved!

If your hubs were shot, they likely took out the speed sensors with wheel wobble. Contact between hall effect sensor and rotating mass is no bueno. I'd replace the sensors for the wheels that got hubs and go from there.

And yes, the wheel speed sensors send data to abs and traction/stability. Trans light is 99% a companion light, due to sensors acting up.

If your hubs were shot, they likely took out the speed sensors with wheel wobble. Contact between hall effect sensor and rotating mass is no bueno. I'd replace the sensors for the wheels that got hubs and go from there.

And yes, the wheel speed sensors send data to abs and traction/stability. Trans light is 99% a companion light, due to sensors acting up.
I looked at them close today and even pulled one out, they definitely haven't been hit at least.

Does it have paddle shifters?
Nope, as noted at the start it's a 6 speed auto. All gears run fine in D and in M when manual shifting the console handle up and down.... but I see where you were going with that. Steering wheel contacts.... like my Wife's Challenger.

Nope, as noted at the start it's a 6 speed auto. All gears run fine in D and in M when manual shifting the console handle up and down.... but I see where you were going with that. Steering wheel contacts.... like my Wife's Challenger.
Yeah, clockspring. Seemed like you were mentioning turning,

Auto Transport Service
Back