• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever install a convertible top ?

pearljam724

Local time
4:11 AM
Reaction score
I will be inheriting a 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme convertible that’s needs a new top. I’m pretty mechanically inclined. How difficult is it to replace a convertible top yourself having never done so ?

I've assisted in the install on three tops. It is a two man job. Buy new cables and wire on hardware. Hydro e lectric is a good source. A air stapler helps. Sunshine helps get that first latch in place.

I wonder what the going rate to have one installed is ?

$1500 to $2000 here in Tucson.

I paid 1200 for my challenger top with new glass window installed

Had a rough time getting new top on my '63 Plymouth despite the shop being very reputable. Took a 2nd top install to get it better than the 1st but still not all that great. The owner tells me "I really don't like putting tops on older mopars of my era - they're more difficult to do than GM and Ford's". I said well...ya could a told me that and would a gone to another shop! Years before had a '72 Cutlass and the shop that did it did a great job. So reckon you might have an easier time of it with your Olds. Prices posted are what I've found.

I just got a quote yesterday of $1000 for just labor for my 67 GTO, I have the top already.

I just got a quote yesterday of $1000 for just labor for my 67 GTO, I have the top already.
My 1st car - '67 GTO vert. How I still miss that car 40 some years later!

My 1st car - '67 GTO vert. How I still miss that car 40 some years later!

I still cant believe I have one. It needs tons of work but hopefully it’ll be ready for the road come the spring. My first car was 1993 silverado hahahahah. I wish I lived in your shoes.

Last edited:
If doing it yourself. Remove the decklid as you will need to get in there to pull the top back and work with it... Just makes it easier..

Auto Transport Service
Back