• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here tap tree's

G.V.Charger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:01 PM
Reaction score
Talked about it for years, pulled the plug and went full bore. Tapped a total of 20 maples, and went the Reverse Osmosis route. I have pulled two gallons of syrup, as of this week. And have another 15 gallons of concentrate ( 1.5 gallons syrup ) to cook up when the weather clears.

I don’t, but my wife’s boss does here in Indiana. He markets 2 grades of maple syrup, a light and a dark. But I really don’t know much about it. Good luck.

I was tempted to tap a tree once, but I was scared of splinters.

d2d8883bedc4724416c36d3231fd81a9.jpg

Last edited:
We could, have a bunch of maples, but my neighbor does about 400 trees every year so we just get it from him. Some of the trees are on my land so I guess I do, remotely. lol.

Went on a Cub Scout outing back in March. 40 gal of sap to make 1 gal of syrup! They did do a taste test with store bought and the real syrup is a lot better :p

20180224_141309.jpg
20180224_141819.jpg
20180224_142739.jpg
20180224_143021.jpg
20180224_143426.jpg

It's great to pass along the old ways so they don't get forgotten. Lots of that going on in New England.

Some friends do at my place. Usually make 40/50 gallons of finished syrup.
It takes about 100 gallons of beer to make that much dehydrated tree sap

We have a few maples in the yard. The wife got into it this year. She got 5 gallons a day for a couple weeks and cooked it down. We have several jars of the best syrup I ever tasted.

treetap.jpg
syrup.jpg
syrup2.jpg

Last edited:
The reason I thought I would post, is the reverse osmosis part of the deal. My uncle started me off on this venture, and I started off with a couple of spiles and some pails. I knew right away that an evaporator was in order and into the shop I headed. Used racing fuel 45 gal drum,a couple of stainless steel pans a little ingenuity, and,bang evap finished. My neighbour mentioned our intent to a menonite, and he suggested R O . I looked into it, and simply using reverse osmosis, I can remove up to 75 percent of the water from the sap, before I hit the evaporator. Hence, my time at the evaporator, and the fuel required to complete the process is cut dramatically. Albeit, the cost of the system is a little high,the savings at the end pay off.

IMG_0081.JPG 20180407_160217.jpg 20180408_152907.jpg IMG_0109.JPG

When we were in Alaska last fall, we found out that they didn't have maple syrup, they have birch syrup. Didn't try any though.

Birch syrup....
You get a chance to see the price per gallon.......1000.00 US per gal.

100 to 1 apparently

Looks like a fun hobby with a nice byproduct. Have fun and send some to SoCal if you tap a little extra.....

Birch syrup....
You get a chance to see the price per gallon.......1000.00 US per gal.

100 to 1 apparently

I wanted to get some to try it, but a bottle that would be enough for 2 pancakes was something like 20-25 bucks.

Auto Transport Service
Back