• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone running comp Xtreme energy 236/242 roller cam with tf240 heads

6872n73

Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
With 10.0 compression?
I know the rest of the engine combo matters but no one else is going to have my combo:
Thinking about upgrading and wanted to see if anyone has an opinion that has ran this cam.
Looking for for good street manners that will cooperate with efi.....say 15 in of vacuum at 850 rpm.

16944611912731092261439414776353.jpg

i'm using the TF hyd roller with .600 lift and TF 240 heads on a 512 with 10 to 1 comp and 3200 rpm stall convertor and it is very streetable.
Hope this helps
I'd have to look up more info on the cam

Kinda need your engine size.

I don't have a tachometer so don't know rpm at idle and never checked vacuum because I have manual brakes so it's not an issue but the thing is very welll mannered and streetable.
It is a street driven car and not a race car so not concerned with these things.
When putting this combo together I went with the parts recommended by Trick Flow for these heads on a 512 cu in.
Again very streetable and wasn't dinoed but has to be in the 600 HP range.

With EFI you may want to use 112 degrees of lobe separation.

I ran the comp 236/242 hydraulic roller in my 500 with 9.5:1 compression and Edelbrock heads. It worked well in that combo, but idle vacuum was more like 8.5.

20170626_200130.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if your engine combo will work with EFI. Andy F would probably know.

Your motor will not have 15" of vacuum with that cam. That cam has 70 degrees of overlap. You'll probably need an after market converter.

Good street manners is very subjective. Your motor would be very streetable, but would not meet my definition of having good street manners.

That's a data point I was looking for. I was hoping for more vacuum but I was concerned that it would be below 10.

Agreed street manners is subjective. I want something that the engine won't stumble when the AC clutch cycles and the map sensor signal isn't bouncing around, not having to rev the engine up to 1200 to feather the clutch.
I think I could get by with about 12 to 14 inches to tune a good idle.

My next choice is to bump down to the 230/236 roller cam. Still going to be pretty strong but I think I'll have a better idle signal.

Last edited:
Agreed street manners is subjective. I want something at the engine. Won't stumble when the AC clutch cycles and the map sensor signal isn't bouncing around, not having to rev the engine up to 1200 to feather the clutch.
I think I could get by with about 12 to 14 inches to tune a good idle.

My next choice is to bump down to the 230/236 roller cam. Still going to be pretty strong but I think I'll have a better idle signal.

Are you refering to post #8? If so, you might want to read it again.

But EFI aside, that cam would be nice in a stick car, IMO

Right here right here!!! I’m running the same cam with TF 240. T-56 Magnum. 10.7-1. Compression. Holley sniper X-Flo. Fastman can tune it!!! 12” of vacuum at idle with the sniper. When I had the carb on it, it only had 7-8” of vacuum. I went ahead and put a Vacuum pump on it anyways.

Last edited:
Your the guy in wanting to talk to!

What size is your engine?

Idle rpm?

Great sound!

440+060.
242/242 sol lifter roller cam, 106 LSA. Lashed tight. 13.5" of vac with 44* of idle timing. About 10" of vac with 18-20* idle timing.

Your the guy in wanting to talk to!

What size is your engine?

Idle rpm?

Great sound!
440+40. 900 RPM. It will not run correctly unless you get it tuned with a laptop. Don’t even think about it. I went fully Sniper Hyperspark pump in the fuel tank. 3” exhaust

I should have added in post #16: TF 240 heads, M1 single plane intake, 850 TQ carb.

That's a healthy cam for street efi, with holley you must be using alpha n tuning during idle.

How is idle to 2500? Cruising? That cam/combo should pull hard above 3000.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back