• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto zone timing chain any good for 383 mopar?

Regardless of brand, I don't care for the timing gears that use a slot to locate the cams dowl pin. I prefer the timing gears with the drilled hole for the dowl pin.
One reason is the slotted versions have no way of correcting the cam timing. The sets normally do not have an multi-position crank gear.
With the timing set with the hole, the hole can be drilled out and offset bushings installed to correct timing.
For a few bucks more, a set with adjustable crank keyways is nice to have.
The 440 source 9-way adjustable timing sets are pretty good for $100.

Either I wasn't clear or you misunderstood.
You said you would only buy "dumb" parts at auto zoo such as filters, etc.
Why not buy a name brand part such as a Cloyes timing chain there?

Bought a cloyes set for a customer's 318 from Advantage a couple weeks ago. After install it had more chain slop than the 100k mile original I took off. Bought same set from O'Reilly's and it was ok. Funny that the Cloyes packaging was completely different between the two sets I bought. Probably have several different junk *** Chinese factories making them.

Like I said, even the tried & true name brands like Cloyes sell some low cost, less than ideal products.

I spent $100+ on a true roller Cloyes with keyways and it's just a stock low mile 78 400 4 Barrel motor

I have a close friend who ran a couple of auto repair shops & was VERY successful at it! One of the best wrenches I've ever seen! He's retired now. Anyway, if you ever got a chance to talk with him about az, you would get an expletive-filled condemnation of that outfit! He ain't got a very good opinion of Advance, either! My 2 cents....

Sometimes you actually DO get what you pay for.
Lets face it, if they can offer a lifetime warranty, the part must be very cheap to begin with.

Bought a cloyes set for a customer's 318 from Advantage a couple weeks ago. After install it had more chain slop than the 100k mile original I took off. Bought same set from O'Reilly's and it was ok. Funny that the Cloyes packaging was completely different between the two sets I bought. Probably have several different junk *** Chinese factories making them.
I would imagine so but, there IS a Cloyes building about 10min from me.

Lifetime warranty doesn't mean poo when you are having to keep replacing the item and no labor is compensated.

Try to buy a Cloyes timing set part no. 9-3125 for a 440 today , couldn't find one .

Auto Transport Service
Back