• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto zone timing chain any good for 383 mopar?

Is your car a race car it driver? Sounds like you just drive the thing !
I've used az timing chains before in my daily 74 charger
About 2003 ish it was working perfectly till motor was removed a few years back .

In a high hp Motor I would definitely get a better set
There's a eld set that is really nice for not alot of $$$ the summit ones you showed are basically AZ parts

Is your car a race car it driver? Sounds like you just drive the thing !
I've used az timing chains before in my daily 74 charger
About 2003 ish it was working perfectly till motor was removed a few years back .

In a high hp Motor I would definitely get a better set
There's a eld set that is really nice for not alot of $$$ the summit ones you showed are basically AZ parts
Just a driver looking for a nice reliable ride that’s all. Don’t care for going fast since it’s a satellite maybe if it was a charger just want reliability abd to run right

any one you recommend that’s fair or worth ?
I just don’t need to over pay for something I don’t need

Go with a clloyes, never had great luck with duralast products myself.
Had a couple of Duralast batteries that were good and my 95 Dakota has a Duralast lifetime starter that's been in it for at least 15 years but it took a couple to get a good one. That's my biggest beef with AholeZone. Gotta go through the hoops to get a good part. The fuel pump for the 95 was the last straw. 1st one lasted a freaking month and the one that's in it now has several years on it but it's loud but not enough to be annoying. Found a Carter USA made pump and figured it would be in the truck by now but as long as that's on the shelf, the China made crap will probably last lol.

I think the summit chain would be fine.

Timing chain quality has nothing to do with "going fast". It's about NOT retarding the cam timing in short order, which is what the cheap sets do. Seen it many times.
And whatever you end up with, inspect the sprocket teeth closely for burrs...

You can get a Melling set on RockAuto for between $65 and $55. Why not get the brand name made in the USA again?

BTW - The Summit one you highlighted says made in the USA on it, so who do you think makes it for Summit?

RGAZ

We put a degree wheel on a summit chain. It was retarded 8 degrees by 10,000 miles. If you plan to drive it much get a cloyes. If it takes 10 years to put on 5000 miles the summit one will be fine...your call.

I run Milodon gear drives in all my stuff.
mil-13000_tr_xl.jpg

Worth the $$$$

Why not name brand parts, such as Cloyes or Melling?
Either I wasn't clear or you misunderstood.
You said you would only buy "dumb" parts at auto zoo such as filters, etc.
Why not buy a name brand part such as a Cloyes timing chain there?

We put a degree wheel on a summit chain. It was retarded 8 degrees by 10,000 miles. If you plan to drive it much get a cloyes. If it takes 10 years to put on 5000 miles the summit one will be fine...your call.
Seen the same here. Summit's nice "made in USA" billet set uses a cheap Indian-made chain. The sprockets are nice though...
8 degrees of timing retard at the cam will cause a loss of low-end response you'll definitely feel...not to mention eating up P/V clearance.

Spring pressure is certainly going to have an effect on the chain stretching.
Here's a cloyes I bought several years ago just took it out.
IMG_20210601_175507533.jpg

What's wrong with this picture?

Either I wasn't clear or you misunderstood.
You said you would only buy "dumb" parts at auto zoo such as filters, etc.
Why not buy a name brand part such as a Cloyes timing chain there?
That was my quote, not Slaps Stick's.
Maybe it was I who was not clear. Brand name parts from AZ are no problem. It's the AZ "Don'tLast" parts that I was referring to. Sorry for any confusion.

Don't buy Chinese **** ! Nuf' Said

There are more than one level of quality even with Cloyes. I bought the low price version & sent it back, got the somewhat more expensive version which was excellent.

I find it interesting how double roller chains are considered blanket “better” that silent chains. Having designed high speed machinery for years, when power is high and speed is high I’d take a silent chain first. Only the best roller chains are better than the average silent chain and that “better” is qualified. I’d guess that the high end roller chains indeed are superior in many ways. As soon as we’re at “bargain” or “cost competitive” I’d be using a Melling silent chain all day.

Auto Transport Service
Back