• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B Body stiffening

hey darius, i got a ALTERKTION in mine with a 6.1. did you hook up the stock power steering pump to the rack or is it to much psi.

I bought a March pully system and it came with as power steering pump. I honestly do not know what pressure it operates at. I need to deal with it however as something is not quite right. It may be in the steering column as that was a delicate positioning effort and we knocked it out dealing with the computer issues.

Tallhair moved this to this forum at my request. I thought more folks might benefit from MY learning curve since this type of swap has similar issues across all years vs the 66-70 Mopars category I posted it in.

Can't believe I didn't know about this thread but I guess I spend most of my time here so if it wasn't here then that's why. Very creative and cool build, sure turned out beautiful. Congrats

Wow, that is one amazing build. I just read through the whole build. NICE.

That has to be quite a shocker when people walk up to the car and then look inside... and then the double takes begin.

Nice, any vids coming for us Darius?

Its 1 thing to start such an ambitious project as you, but its truly amazing to see someone actually finish a project like this with out compromising on his ideas as the build got harder & harder. A great accomplishment you have made!!! Now its time to start another project LOL.

Did you get the computer issues figured out?

I had frame connectors installed on my Coronet, I wanted them welded to the floor pans but was talked into it wouldn't make that much difference. I see Darius's car (NICE JOB) and now wondering if I should go back. Not a race car just street, some day hope to have bigger HP 4 to 5. Thoughts?

Here is where I am
I have a TCM from Paramount Performance
I have an ECU from Modern Muscle
We had the car running as you saw when I brought it to our show in the Park last June.
We had to hack up the stock 07 harness so much to make all of this work that we decided to just get a new harness and rewire the whole car. I have a new harness with a 24 space fuse block. While we were taking a break from it all we noticed the paint failing. It did not adhere to the primer because the painter did not clean/prep correctly so the car had to get re-painted (argghhhhhh!!!) That process was completed just before Christmas. I suspect next month we will get to re-assembly from the paint issue and complete the re-wire.
Then we work on tuning all the computers. Like I mentioned. I drove the car and it was awesome even though the computers needed a bunch of tweaking and dialing in, they were absolutely working together.
Since I had to install Autometer gauges to bypass the stock set up (way complicated to explain) the new harness became even more required because a lot of the circuitry controlling dash controls, heat and air controls etc. run thru the instrument circuit board.
Goal is mid March so I can get it good and tuned/debugged to take to Spring Fling.

IMG_1410.jpgIMG_1412.jpgIMG_1413.jpg
Update
Started the re-wire last weekend. Unbelievable how much wiring there is in the new cars. very confusing.
Also a pic I have not posted of the engine compartment. This will change some in the fuse box area once we get the new Haywire panel and all the relays we will need installed and a cover fabbed up for it.
The trash can is only 1/3 of the wire we have removed and there is still easily that much more to go

IMG_1410.jpg IMG_1412.jpg IMG_1413.jpg

looking good/great

keep it up

wiring is always fun...LOL

I am down to the last issue.........hopefully! Long story short is the programming on the transmission computer was NEVER dialed in . There was a partnership dissolution at PCS which is the outfit I bought the controller from ( I have not located any other source for this). The guy who had the NAG1/Mercedes expertise is the partner who left. We were graciously given his contact info from PCS and have been in contact with him. Downloaded files of the transmission running through the gears and sent him the computer for re- flashing/programming and should have it back next week. My fingers are crossed as there is absolutely nothing else this car needs to be on the road.
Needless to say how disappointed I am to be at Spring Fling doing swap **** instead of driving this car!

I started the same type of build, using the entire 08 Charger drivetrain/electrical system, HVAC system, etc. I too was not aware of the issues associated with the NAG1 trans and the speed sensors. The question I have is what was the issue using the other factory electronics with an aftermarket TCU? I'm considering switching to a 4L60 based trans and controller. The engine runs right now with the factory PCM and wiring, so I'm just wondering what the issue was. If you left the instrument panel intact, would the other controls, heat, etc have worked? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wonder if there is anyone out there that could make custom wheel speed sensors for the 8 3/4 rear.

I had the entire wire harness from the Charger IN the GTX! Once we had to start messing around with that harness to get the car to run the Charger harness had to be "hacked" into to make the car move. That bypassed some of the circuitry that ran through the factory instrument circuit board which caused enough issues (not to mention the fast growing "spaghetti ball of wire) that we decided to rewire the whole car and use other gauges ( autometer in my case). The tach and speedo get input from the Transmission controller and in a nutshell that is where the problem will be. I do not know that if the TCU was programmed correctly that the factory instrument panel wouldn't work. i MIGHT have found that out if the programming would have been correct to begin with.
I really cannot say why the TCM I got from Paramount did not work out of the box. Dude (programmer and Mercedes transmission guru) says he has it fixed and we have the module back with a few new wires to install. When Dean returns from Talladega next week hopefully he can get it installed and we shall see once and for all.

- - - Updated - - -

I really don't see how the tone ring component of the speed sensing system could be mounted in an 8 3/4 assembly. The sensors have to be mounted to the axle itself and there is no place to do that that I could find, particularly since I already had some modifications there to fit the Charger disc brakes on.
If i was younger and had another stash of cash I wouldn't mind doing this build again knowing what I now know.

I see this kind of quality work on frame stiffening and I think back to my simple question and action of putting AMD sub frame connectors on my X. The feeling is one of envy. I don't have the talent or the equipment to do this kind of work on my X. You're really building a nice frame and no doubt the rest of the car is going to be as quality. Nice work. My frame is all ma mopar with the sub frame connectors hoping to contain nearly 600 hp. God help us all!

I actually drove the car and it performed like it should today. Some real minor fine tuning to the shift points and we are great. It hauls ***!!!!! Got a bigger road test set for tomorrow, I'll get some pics.
I almost don't believe it.

I actually drove the car and it performed like it should today. Some real minor fine tuning to the shift points and we are great. It hauls ***!!!!! Got a bigger road test set for tomorrow, I'll get some pics.
I almost don't believe it.

Fantastic! Congratulations! While my modifications are no where near as extensive as yours, I know what a pain it is to get these things going. Nice job persevering through the wiring issues and getting it working well.

Now to drive it and enjoy it!!!

IMG_1435.jpgIMG_1434.jpg
Finally home and in the driveway. I wasn't here 5 minutes and 2 people stopped their cars to gawk and ask questions. Who needs a car show?

IMG_1435.jpg IMG_1434.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back