• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B24

The CAF's B-24 is an early model, so like the early B-17s had no front turret.
180310-F-IO108-003.jpg

B-17F Memphis Belle
b17photo3-large.jpg

B-17G Texas Raiders

180906-F-IO108-020.jpg

B-24D Strawberry Bitch
B24-7.jpg

B-24J Witchcraft

Memphis Belle and Shoo Shoo Baby.JPG

From time to time they do B-17 flights out here at PDK Peachtree Dekalb airport. Which back in the 50's and probably prior to that was NAS Atlanta.

PDKINTHEDAY.png

Last edited:
My father was a radioman on a B24 in the Navy. Served in the Pacific. He said he manned the top turret gun when called to battle stations. Never heard too much about the action, but plenty about the partying and gambling.

As I recall from books & fliers the changes in configuration were constant, both at the factories and in the field. Guns varied widely even in the "same" models. My Dad did tell me that he thought the B-24 was harder to fly than the B-17.

Robert Morgan (Memphis Belle pilot)
says in his book the B-17 flew itself and was a dream. The B-29 flew like a truck and you worked at it. But that makes sense, Boeing started on the B-17 in 1935 (?) and they had plenty of time to refine it. The Superfort was rushed into service with many problems needing worked out.

cool photos & stories guy

thanks for sharing

I came across this video of the plane I flew on this past weekend. They warned us it's also seen in the video that once the landing gear is retracted the front tire spins for a long time. I crawled past it to make it to the forward gun turret about 5 plus minutes into the flight and it was still spinning fast.

Auto Transport Service
Back