• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bair metal primer / paint

wedge69

Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
Ok first please know I am NOT a Body man. I can put panils in and have always painted our race cars but thats it.
Now I want to paint the under side and trunk on my 69 runner and it is mostly Bair metal . The floor pans from the rear forward are painted with an orange prime sealer ?
Do I need to by the expensive primer ? I was told by an old guy to use the paint fro Tracor supply store ?
Its like Rustolium ?? Single stage enamel. I used it for years on our dirt cars but that a diferent story.
Any help would be good as I am on a tight budget as with most of us !
But I am looking to you guys for the best input. I have both the older style Binks guns and a new HPLV .
Thanks for you help ! 130922_0006.jpgMVC-086S.JPG

Well, if it were my car, I'd be more concerned with what works rather than cost. Yes, I know, we all have to watch our coin but skimping on the underside is guaranteed to bite you.

Id scuff up the bare steel with 80 grit paper and give it three good coats of epoxy primer. SPI makes and excellent product and it's reasonable as well.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

Be sure to clean the surface with a wax and grease remover first and pay close attention to the re-coat window. From there you can paint it if you like or just leave it in epoxy.

As far as the orange/red primer goes - do you know what it is ? Removing it is the only way to be assured of success, however, I realize it's quite the task. You could tempt fate and scuff it up and epoxy over it and see what happens.

Thank you for the info. I am thinking it is an sealer/primer. I understand the cost verse's quality deal . I was just throwing it out there to get input . I will look into there products . Thank you for the help.

Not being a paint guy by trade what would be or would I need ? Thay list a couple diferent primers .

Thanks Eric ! I was thinking I needid a gallon ? I also wanted to do the inside of the trunk so 2 quarts ?

Ok looks like we have a winner !
Now it needs to get warm out so I can roll with it.
Thanks guy !!!

Well, if it were my car, I'd be more concerned with what works rather than cost. Yes, I know, we all have to watch our coin but skimping on the underside is guaranteed to bite you.

Id scuff up the bare steel with 80 grit paper and give it three good coats of epoxy primer. SPI makes and excellent product and it's reasonable as well.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

Be sure to clean the surface with a wax and grease remover first and pay close attention to the re-coat window. From there you can paint it if you like or just leave it in epoxy.

As far as the orange/red primer goes - do you know what it is ? Removing it is the only way to be assured of success, however, I realize it's quite the task. You could tempt fate and scuff it up and epoxy over it and see what happens.

I've been using this epoxy from SPI for 4 years now and all I can say is "WOW". The tech line is the owners cell phone (Barry), you can call him 7 days a week and he has always either picked up or called back. I still have a half painted part sitting outside (been there for 4 years as a test and the epoxy is still holding up on it). I paint everything with this. The black has the most UV protection, so if you want to drive the car in primer. It seems better than DP90. Also you can go to their forum, they treat everyone with respect. (since most of them are professional painters) .

You just said it all Mr B Body. I was a PPG epoxy user and switched about 3 years ago. Great adhesion, nice to sand and very solvent resistant. Also the black is UV resistant now.

You just said it all Mr B Body. I was a PPG epoxy user and switched about 3 years ago. Great adhesion, nice to sand and very solvent resistant. Also the black is UV resistant now.

Speaking of resistance, I painted a 8-3/4 for my dart and somehow managed to get the new brake line to leak on it. and brake fluid (dot 3) will not remove this epoxy. It is not very expensive (compared to others). And as Eric383 said it sands nicely and performs well. I put it on with a $10 Harbor Freight gun.

I have applied this with a HF gun also. Watch their sales and sometimes these guns are super cheap. I don't know if they are $10 anymore but for a new guy that wants to experiment this is the way to go.

Auto Transport Service
Back