• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Balancing red line bias ply tires

You guys are making this waaayy to hard.

Something is wrong with the tires or wheels. Find the problem! I vote he has junk tires.

The balance job sucks but that’s not the real problem, it’s just a sideline.
That's been suggested about a dozen times already. We're not making anything "waaayy too hard".

You guys are making this waaayy to hard.

Something is wrong with the tires or wheels. Find the problem! I vote he has junk tires.

The balance job sucks but that’s not the real problem, it’s just a sideline.
We aren't making this hard. The dumb *** that attempted the balance is making it hard. By stacking too much weight opposite the heavy spot on the tire he needed to compensate by adding more weight on the opposite side. Yes, there could be a bad rim and probably a bad tire. It's all about doing it right from the start. He was obviously trying to static balance the tire.

." The weights are not chasing each other as much as he is trying to dynamically balance the tire only using about 2" of the rims total width." That is exactly what he is doing. Chasing weights! Static balancing only takes weight opposite the heavy spot of the tire/rim. It can worsen dynamic balance depending on where it requires weight to be placed and where the static weights are attached.

Yes. I added some text and diagrams in my earlier post to help explain this to the others.

That is screwed up enough I saved a copy of the tire pic to make a meme out of.
Just when you think its safe to go to the tire store :(, Whats sad is this dumb *** is working on other tires and wheels for someones wife or kids. I mean you can chase this back to who in the hell trained this guy :realcrazy:

post 25 is telling.

most didn't notice that even though the stacks of weights are opposite, the smaller stack is near the center line of the rim, where the larger stack is at the edge.

perhaps this rim can't be balanced without weights showing.

I'd try balancing the rim without a tire first.

...although tire MFG for specialty "retro" tires is certainly slipping.

The last Cooper's I bought took an ounce more weight to balance on each side or each rim than the pair I replaced.

...on the same rims.

behold-my-great-balancing-act.jpg

You don't suppose the pic is staged, do you?

Red X's a flying on a wheel balancing thread! :rolleyes:

You don't suppose the pic is staged, do you?

Just remember I was the first to say this was a joke!

I had a shop install new tires on my Harley mainly because they had a tire sale. I took the wheels off myself and dropped them off. I wasn't about to leave my bike there.

So I get the wheels back and install the front one first. I turn away for the axel nut and when I look back there's the wheel turning. (Well that's balanced right!)

I placed the weight at the top, let go of the wheel and it would turn itself until the weight ended up at the bottom. Fn idiots working on things they have no business doing.

OK. First answer.. no this is not "staged". Not sure what to think of that response.. ?moparedtn?
Second.. I tried several times to have the balancer 'tech', put weights on the OUTSIDE of the wheel. I believe he has been taught NOT to do that.

Backline: Again, this is what resulted after I peeled the weights off, spun the tire 90 degrees, then had it re-balanced.
My dad taught me 'back in the day' not to spin a tire more than 90, right or wrong. That's why I asked if you can turn the wheel 180?

I honestly can't remember what brand they are.. I can look after I get some coffee.

OK. First answer.. no this is not "staged". Not sure what to think of that response.. ?moparedtn?
Second.. I tried several times to have the balancer 'tech', put weights on the OUTSIDE of the wheel. I believe he has been taught NOT to do that.

Backline: Again, this is what resulted after I peeled the weights off, spun the tire 90 degrees, then had it re-balanced.
My dad taught me 'back in the day' not to spin a tire more than 90, right or wrong. That's why I asked if you can turn the wheel 180?

I honestly can't remember what brand they are.. I can look after I get some coffee.

When you have been doing car repair most of your life you know what looks right and wrong right off the bat. When you see that amount of weight on a rim you automatically know someone doesn't know what they are doing.

If I would be balancing your wheel and tire for you and found that it required half of that weight, I would remove the tire from the wheel and check the balance of the wheel and see if it has a problem. There's normally a white dot on the tire that will determine where the manufacturer notes the light spot on the tire and it's to be placed at the valve stem. I'm not sending you out the door with a ridiculous amount of weights on your wheel. It has to be determined if you have a bad wheel or a bad tire. The shop or tech that you take your work to needs to be shut down before they kill someone.

If the balancer tech refused to put clamp on weights on the outside where they would belong, why did you even let him do it ? He was trained to do it wrong ?
If the tire machine is given the true tire/wheel size in formation, it will "tell you" if you have a component problem. Most of that weight is there because he is trying to tell the machine that the 6" rim is only 2" wide. Wrong info, wrong result no matter how good the rim or tire may or maynot be.
I have personally balanced many thousands of different tire/wheel sizes and combinations. You always end up with something that looks like what you got when you lie to the balancing machine.
If the tire is new meaning recently manufactured, the problem more than likely lies with the rim. Even cheap tires are made better than the best tires of many years ago. The manufacturing equipment is just better.

Last edited:
I agree with moparleo that the new tires are better, and they probably make thousands of them at a time.
Im also sure this is a new tire, but being a "collector" tire, i doubt that there are more than a few hundred built each year. And the technology of building a bias tire is so old, it wouldn't surprise me even a little, if there was something wrong with that tire.
I would guess that the primary function of that tire is .... look like the red line bias original, and hold air. If a person was trying to buy the best tire possible, those would be last on the list.

Well he did buy Firestones! LOL. Not a thing wrong with my Goodyear Raceway Redlines..

Well he did buy Firestones! LOL. Not a thing wrong with my Goodyear Raceway Redlines..
Yeah, well, the firestones are over $100 cheaper each, than the goodyears in the size i need.
The goodyears are correct for my car, the firestones are not.

If the balancer tech refused to put clamp on weights on the outside where they would belong, why did you even let him do it ? He was trained to do it wrong ?

"Why did I LET him do it" ???? Because I'm not a professional tire changer, its not my machine and I wasn't there until the last 5 minutes.

I had already been through this the day before. When I picked up the wheels and saw what he did. I took the wheel home, peeled off the weights, spun the tire 90degrees and figured it would be fine.
I explained he could put weights on the front when I dropped the wheel off the next day.
But the second time ended up being worse! Never have I seen weights stacked up like this before.

When I returned, saw what he was doing, I reminded him weights could go on the front of the wheel. Not sure if he was new, hungover or just an idiot. Either way, I was both shocked and amused at what he was doing. I was curious how far he was going to stack those dang things up. Looked like he was playing Jenga. haha
Like I say, he was either inexperienced or trained wrong. Anybody who is awake would know that wheel isn't going to fit over a brake assembly.

BTW, so far this forum has accused me of "******* with us", staging the pic and "Letting him do it".
Think some of you need to take a break. FOAD

Anyway, thanks for the good info.
This experience made a great meme. BEEP BEEP!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back