• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BB oil slinger question

3rdelke

Local time
11:05 PM
Reaction score
I was watching Graveyard cars and realized we left out the oil slinger on our bb stroker build. what is the dangers we face, got a couple thousand miles on it

Main thing is it keeps hot oil off the seal, second lubricates the timing chain and lastly keeps your pulleys aligned due to stacking.

As far as dangers......possible premature failure of the timing chain but opinions will be all over the place on this.....

Last edited:
Front seal is just more likely to leak. It does deflect oil spray to the chain as well, but the oil spray probably hits the chain and lubricates it anyway.

I think it's mainly to deflect oil to the timing chain for longevity. I have one lying around if you need one. PM me.

You're screwed. The engine will blow up the first time it hits 3,500 rpm.

Thanks guys, seems like I'll be ok, think I'll just watch it for seepage and race on!

As I recall, when Chrysler started using the double lip seal design, the slinger was deleted. It was originally designed to work with the single lip seal.
Mike

Just thinking out loud here and maybe I'm all wet here so please don't shoot!
I suspect the "slinger" as being more of a baffle as there in no real slinging feature to it. Does it not make sense that it deters hot sump oil from rushing to the lip seal of a rotating crank under braking. There is a "slinger" on the crank rear as well. Where does that "sling" oil to?

As I recall, when Chrysler started using the double lip seal design, the slinger was deleted. It was originally designed to work with the single lip seal.
Mike
Thanks, sounds right

Auto Transport Service
Back