• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BC/CC exposure to freezing temps

Builderguy

Builderguy
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:21 AM
Reaction score
My shop is heated and stays between 65 and 70 degrees in the winter. I can spray BC/CC at that temperature without any problems. My question is, "How long do I have to let the paint cure before I can roll it out in the freezing temperatures without risk of damage?"

I did a quick search on the net but couldn't get a really good answer. Body shops in my area, Central Michigan, give the cars just a couple of days and out they go, into the snow and ice. I get it that time is money for them, but I am not so sure that is the best thing for fresh paint.

Guess I could call PPG and ask but I think some of the members here already know the answer. Thanks in advance.

I Have no idea as I'm not a professional, but I would say at least 48-72 hours, if not longer? When my brother had his car shot, you could still smell it was still leaching vapors after 3 months of just sitting in the garage during the summer months and never being exposed outside. YMMV. Good Luck

Cars get in accidents every day, get repaired and thrown outside with no problems. A Lexus or
Lincoln uses the same Bc/Cc paint as you are using and there are no problems.

Professional shops bake their cars after painting. I painted mine I the garage and the wife was complaining about the smell for a week.

Auto Transport Service
Back