• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best method for cleaning out junk in the rocker panels?9

cal30_sniper

Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
Both the rockers on my 72 Satellite seem to be filled with ancient mice nests. I’ve shot 150psi air in there until both I and my air compressor are worn out, and there’s still junk coming out.

I’ve been putting pressurized air into all the drain ports at the lower pinch weld, the seat belt bolt holes, the trim screw holes, and small gaps at the front where the rocker meets the firewall structure. I can hear bigger stuff rattling around inside, but can’t get it all out.

It looks like the front end, where it meets the firewall below the door hinge, is just a cap that’s spot welded on. I was thinking about using the spot weld cutter, removing the cap, and properly cleaning out the inside. Probably hit it with some internal frame coating before welding it back up.

Any other techniques or strategies here? The car hasn’t rusted yet being a New Mexico car it’s whole life, but I want to clear it out before it does.

Some might think it drastic, but if it goes all of the way through, I would consider drilling a 1 inch hole in the end and running Barbwire up in it. Then put a body plug in the hole. But then, I'm part caveman

just dealt with this......like someone packed it with a broom handle several times over........look for a plug front and rear somewhere, as said maybe even cut a hole........ the car I dealt with has holes for rocker moulding clips, along with the drains along the bottom........... using air and wire took me at least 3 hours WTF .......... I was tempted to light it on fire, but kept thinking I was near the end; silly me....... I did not cut a hole, but I should have

I would not disagree with your idea about the cap. It probably is an independent piece. No matter how you go about it, once you have removed all the fuzz, run water through to pick up the dust and remaining turds. Lots of water.

I did the wire and compressed air too. But I also taped my shop vac to one of the holes and just kept going with the wire and air until it was all gone. Shitty job, just keep poking and picking until it’s all gone

I was thinking pressure washer, then compressed air to dry out, then acid spray to convert the rust, more water to neutralize the converter, compressed air to dry, then internal frame coating.

I just finished sandblasting and painting the underside and interior, so the time to ideal with this is now.

E1667FD8-4DE5-4A87-9143-CD819AB03DCA.jpeg

3A803E9A-6213-4EBD-86D3-CB963B8EEB46.jpeg

I took both plugs out at each end, then used a piece of stranded tie wire and made a barbed end. It is rigid wire that they use to tie scaffolding to buildings, so it will stay straight while pushing it in the whole. Then I sent a blast of air through to push the nests to one end, inserted the barbed end into the hole and spun the wire around while I pulled it out. It grabs a lot more of the nest when you can get it to wind around the barb. After a few hours of going back and forth from each end, it was clean and mouse free. I also used the shop vac method at one end and a blast of air from the other. It was slow, dusty, and mousey work, but I won out in the end!

Some cars must have had plugs from the factory?

My 72 has none that I can find, and I’ve been all over it.

Some cars must have had plugs from the factory?

My 72 has none that I can find, and I’ve been all over it.

look on the inside just in front of the wheel house, and the very front under the fender, mud shield may be in the way........my experience is mostly 66-70 so I may be talking out my ***; but Mopars have body plugs everywhere

Back end of rocker:
BA23C813-5E3D-4A2B-B26C-E441B0E6EA3A.jpeg

Front end of rocker (the spot welded cap I was thinking of removing):
D8967F2E-FE9E-4FF7-806F-1AD4CFC681C5.jpeg

I have spent hours blowing air in every hole to get mice nests out of rockers. There are a couple of divider plates inside that make it quite a challenge to get them cleaned out. I surely would not spray any water/liquid in there. That would just mat everything down making it impossible to get the nests out.
One other not grand thing to think about. Mice always piss in their nests. That over time corrods the metal from the inside out. Ask me how I found out about that little tidbit.....

earlier cars have holes here..... there may be a couple pieces of structure in the rocker, but stuff can get past

rocker1.jpg
rocker2.jpg

Around here ranchers use barbed wire to get pests out of their holes. They stick it down the hole and then turn it. It gets caught up in the fur and they can drag that critter out. I'm glad I don't have to do that sort of stuff. But then again, the ranch I was on today looking at puppies is 38 sq miles deeded. That's worth a minimum of 125 million as one tract because that's too big, and easily 250m if split into a five, 5,000 acre places. I still wouldn't like having to kill critters

Auto Transport Service
Back