• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best modern radio alternative

How much you looking to spend?

This guy can turn your original radio into a modern radio -- It'll still look original, and he can restore it. It wont be cheap or fast to get it done, but worth it.

joesclassicarradio.com

I tried a Retro Sound to start with and it didn't fit in the dash due to the angled radio lens on 66-67's.

I put the same retro thumbwheel in my 70 Charger and I absolutely love it. I love the Bluetooth, phone speaker and the dual USB ports. I cut my package tray a tad to make my 6x9 kickers work better but I think you can buy the correct size speakers. I did away with the center speaker dash because it’s absolutely useless and put 4” kickers In the kick panels. I’m also using a 700 watt 5 channel amp. I do have. 2 10” JBL going on the trunk also.

Since the 69 SuperBee has the ralley dash, the front plate comes off to the front with (4) Philips screws. I took a repro plate for radio delete available from Classic or YearOne, several minutes with a Dremel and cutting wheel I cut out the opening for an aftermarket Pioneer CD AM/FM single DIN head unit. The Pioneer has a rear panel USB jack for either a thumb drive(w/MP3s) or an iPod mounted in the glove box.. Since the plate mounts from the front, very easy install , even the OE chassis support braket lines up nice. And U can re-install the OE in the future if desired. The install looks clean/sano and U just keep the OE radio, all done for >$200..

Just my $0.02...
I did just about the same thing. I dremeled out a radio delete bezel and put in an Alpine. The original radio and bezel is safely stored in a box. Just love having USB, CD, Bluetooth, Sirius, Hand free phone, etc. Pioneer 6x9s in back under the package tray and two in the front with an adapter plate under the grill. The unit was about 175 or something from Crutchfield. My kid hooks up his phone via Bluetooth and plays songs from his phone as well (well beyond my needs but he loves doing that).

116.JPG

Last edited:
Since we have many years of sourcing mobile electronics from the Orient for some of the major OE and aftermarket auto sound brands, plus we have designed and developed multiple custom sound systems and demo vehicles for CES and SEMA trade shows. Also being a Mopar guy over the last 50 years, and every Mopar needs tunes on the road. We developed many unique sound products from head units, amplifiers, loudspeakers and driver combos to install into our vintage Mopar cars as to upgrade their sound systems. Back a few years we had an in-depth discussion and economic review with multiple vendors considering to market/source some of these products but.. We concluded the market potential was too small to cover our development and tooling costs...

Just my $0.02...

How do the Retrosound radios play with Android?

How do the Retrosound radios play with Android?
No idea about Android compatibility, U better check directly with RetroSound or Crutchfield. But I know they do have BlueTooth for music streaming. To my knowledge they do have USB ports, and compatibility with Apple iPods and iPhones.. For our vintage Mopars, my preference is to modify an OE radio delete plate to accept a single DIN CD player from Pioneer or Alpine, that way U have complete control for the music...
Later.
Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Now I'm also wondering how long until everything goes Starlink. Anyone have a Tesla phone (if those are out, I don't know).

I know this is an older thread, but I posted my aftermarket alpine radio up in the posts a while ago. It's been great but sounds kind of tinny. After a lot of reading, and because we didn’t “really” need amps in the 70s/80s, I read that there is an alpine amp that just plugs in and boosts the sound. Wow, what a difference but where to mount? That is what I wanted to share. The mounting ears on the alpine amp are the exact length of the internal mounting holes for the dash. I just unscrewed that part of the dash screws, mounted the amp and done. Amazing and out of the way! It’s light enough that the two screws hold it very well and the other side rests on the dash frame. I know it works for my 70 but hey, who knows if someone will find this useful!

IMG_0033.jpeg

IMG_0034.jpeg

IMG_0035.jpeg

IMG_0036.jpeg

IMG_0037.jpeg

IMG_0038.jpeg

IMG_0039.jpeg

I wouldn’t waste my time with a Retundo or retrofit radio. Use a JbL Charge 4 or 5 and drive it with your phone. Way easier and better sound.

Auto Transport Service
Back