• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Borgeson Install Question

Ginja

Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
Replacing the starter motor has morphed into a project beyond anything I anticipated. I'm now installing a Borgeson as the motor is out and it seemed like a good idea. Having removed the original coupler I have been able to compare the column with the Borgeson coupler - the black dot on the coupler denoting the right depth it should go to (1" 1/2). My query is, for any others that have done this where have you cut the column given the location of the pin? I'm toying with cutting in the middle of the pin location, so I can knock it out and have enough length for pinning into the Borgeson?

20190316_174522.jpg

cut it, i think I took off about 3/4" and drilled new holes for all pins, metal is surprisingly soft and easy to drill.

I used an angle grinder and cut off the pin for the old coupler. Then I was able to collapse the column and slide it right in.. Oh I did have to sand down the shaft a little to make it fit better. Then drilled out the roll pin holes and installed them.

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and measured again and decided to play safe and cut the column either side of the pin, knocked the pin out and installed into the car to trial fit, expecting it to be slightly long. However, if anything its slightly short, nothing challenging but it would have been perfectly possible to fit had I simply cut the pin off as BeepBeep did. No harm done thankfully but for future reference caution is the name of the day! A bench drill is a massive help when pinning the linkage.

Auto Transport Service
Back