• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boy it sure is slick

Reading some of these comments have me scratching my head. Not everyone is an old fart with multiple cars and money in the bank.

Remember in your younger years when you had to go to work or you didn’t get paid, or even fired?
And this type of weather rarely happens in Arkansas, a 3rd gen Charger is a great choice as a year round daily driver in Arkansas. Reminds me of myself in the 90’s.

Max shows 22,500 miles on him. But there's small holes at all 4 corners and the hole in front of the windshield was repaired by the original owner. And there is surface rust around the Sport Fury chevrons on the roof. That means that he was a daily driver at some point. I can only imagine 7.75-14 tires and 3.91 gears in the snow!

Ice is a real bad thing. But snow can be handled. Got to learn how to drive. My '70 Barracuda with good snow tires drove me all over the upper midwest in the snow to go ski racing. As Clint said though, "ya gotta know your limitations".

You just need to go out and do some practicing, so you know how, when and where to giver some throttle. Gotta remember that most of us old buggers drove these things daily in the Winter, the Bee took us to the ski hills every week before the roads were even plowed....

I like that he's actually driving his car as a daily, as it was built for. Good for you Tylor. I'm currently fixing up an old 71 Charger SE and fully intend to drive her daily, rain or shine or snow. My Coronet and GTX have never seen rain, snow or even cold so I'm excited to have an unrestored muscle car to just drive and enjoy on a daily basis.
If she was restored I couldn't drive it lol this is my road pig

In the ice or snow I like to drive a front wheel drive car with a hand pull e-brake. Lots of fun and very easy to drive.

Beep, I'm on the other side. If our front wheel drive loses traction, you've lost steering, may or may not re-gain control. With my '70 Barracuda, limited slip, in the snow I could kick the back end out either direction 45* and still maintain steering control. Ice is a whole different deal. IMHO

Yes, I'm sure we've all done our fair share of driving old cars in this frozen crap in our day.
That doesn't mean it's preferable to doing so in a more capable vehicle, however.
It also doesn't mean we're going to get our lovingly cared-for, expensive toys out in it, either.

I've told my stories on here of witnessing terrifying horrid things on the road in winter
storms, so I have a different perspective than most of the frozen death from above, admittedly.
I've witnessed people die in the crap and I couldn't do a thing to help them.

Suffice to say, I have no use for it at all - and as a warm-blooded mammal, that's a natural
reaction to it anyways.
I'm good with that - and Bart takes care of it if/when I have to get around in it:
DSCF0649.JPG

I think there is room for both types of cars. My fully restored 70 Air Grabber is driven much more carefully, but it is still driven. Otherwise, why have it? My 73 Road Runner is my beater. Now, yes, I have a fully rebuilt drivetrain in it now, but the body has rust in several areas. It's fun to have a muscle car that you don't have to worry so much about.

Back in the day when my 73 was my daily driver, I drove it in EVERY condition, because I had to. And I have to say it pretty faithfully got me to where I needed to go. I kept two asphalt roof shingles in the trunk to help get me unstuck on ice and I used those on several occasions. One time, circa 1984 or 1985, there was sheer ice on the right hand half of a one way driveway leading up to my college parking lot. Other cars, including front wheel drives, couldn't get up the driveway, but my sure grip 73 just drove up it like it was nothing! Mind you, sometimes these cars weren't so good in the snow, but the suitcase full of bricks in the trunk usually leveled the playing field pretty well!

So good on Tyler for driving his. He said it is his daily driver, and I respect that. Not all of us can afford or want to have a second car.

Even in my youth, my 69 Charger was an April to November car. My '85 Charger 2.2 did the daily commute and Winter duty. The 69 wasn't pristine, but I didn't want any rot on her.

My first hot Mopar was a 69 GTX 440 six pac that I had studded snow tires and chains for the winter and towed a boat in the summer! That was a true daily driver! Quarters, rockers, and trunk extensions only lasted 4 yrs back then. :( But that was normal.

I remember back in 79 I'm working with my dad at the local John Deere dealer in IL as mechanics and it's lunch so we both head home to eat. It's snowing like hell and I call my dad when its time to go back to work and tell him we'll take my road runner back to work so if something happens to it we'll still have our good cars to drive. We're going down the road and I say to him can you see anything and he says no, so I roll down the window and stick my head out and see we are completely on the wrong side of the road. I get her back on our side and just then we meet the snow plow going the other direction and we both look at each other and say "what the hell are we doing out here". I payed $500 for that 69 RR 383 auto because it was only running on 7 cyl. Replaced a rocker shaft and drove it for 4-5 years as a daily driver

The 72 charger I have now is the first muscle car I have had that didn't get driven year round. I have had the charger for 30 years. I put a duster on top of a 4 for s ow hill/Bank.....it couldn't have been any softer of a landing , my buddy was pissed I put his car there tho

Drove my '90 T Bird SC x 5 speed year round, as did my Son when I passed it on to him...

Drove my '90 T Bird SC x 5 speed year round, as did my Son when I passed it on to him...

Cool, I had the twin to yours, an '89 Mercury Cougar XR7 SC. But mine was an automatic. Like you, I passed mine on to my daughter after driving it for about 6-7 years.

Still in the yard 32 years later, plus a spare with an auto...
View attachment 1238541

My brother had the 88 or 89 LeBaron gts...I raced my buddy with his 88 or 89 t bird turbo sevral times...those were some close races and when I told my brother years later he laughed and said he blamed the bad clutch on his now x wife....he thanked me

Auto Transport Service
Back