• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Surgery day , oh boy.

I started rehab on my right shoulder replacement yesterday.

My range of motion is like new but my arm is very week. Using a 1lb weight with my exercises...can't do 15 reps!

On my other replacements is started with 2lbs....God I'm old.

I had that done a couple years ago, walked in a boot several months, but after it healed I was able to walk again without pain, even went on some wilderness canoe trips and portaging with a heavy pack and all was good. Main thing is that you stay off of it, the bones have to heel at just the right angle so you can walk properly. Only small issue I had was the big toe rubbed a blister on the toe next to it, as the big toe is now slightly shorter and bent a little over.
I had a foot surgery around 5 years ago where I had to wear one of those boot casts on my foot. Mine was for a painful nerve condition called Mortons Neuroma where the doctor had to go in and cut away some of the nerve that was causing me grief (it felt like I had a tack stuck in the sole of my foot when I walked!).
This is in my left foot, so theoretically I could have drove. But at the time the only car I had that wasn't a manual was my Challenger convertible. Even if it wasn't December when I had the surgery, I sure wasn't going to use it as a daily!
I don't recall now how long I couldn't drive, but I do recall that for a while I could drive while still having the boot, I would take it off to use the clutch when I drove and then put it back on when I went to get out of the car to walk on that foot. I think I was only not able to drive for a week and a half after the surgery.
Sadly that Mortons neuroma seems to have come back recently. Doc just stuck a big needle of cortesone into my foot a few weeks ago to tame that nerve but I am worried I may have to go under the knife again soon, and made me up a new custom orthotic to wear in my shoes. Well at least I have bought a Ram with an automatic since that last operation, so at least I have that going for me if I can't use my left foot post op again.

hows it going this week ??
Going good, still a little touchy but healing nice. No pain at all unless I bump it , ha ha.
2 weeks tomarrow . Going in to get the stitches removed. By everything I'm told I still have aprox 4 more weeks before I'm back to half *** normal.
This pic is from today,
20240317_135429.jpg

looks like it healing great !! it just takes time , thank you for showing me ! im trying to hold out until fall, i have a lot of things going , tell me about your mopar . ed

Had hand surgery two weeks ago, got the stitches out yesterday. Now in an hard cast. Incisions just short of the left thumb and a small one on my lower forearm. Saw the PA. She said everything looked good although the main incision looks real angry. Pain is manageable however when the cast comes off in a month I start physical therapy. I saved a little Oxy for that.

how are you this week, ed
Just finished the 6 wk mark and my foot is at least back to 75 % .
The great thing is no more arthritis pain.
I'm wearing my shoe for the past week and working the foot a little more but being careful at the same time.
It's has all worked out good for me.
I have a final dr. vist on the 2nd of May.
That will be 8 weeks and I expect its the last. Since week 5 I have been working in my shop and walking fine, Supprised me but no limp now at week 6.
Wish I would have done this a year ago. I think the main thing is to follow the recovery directions for a good outcome.
I've got Xray pics of the hardware but since your going in Ed I will keep them.
Lol , you will have your own set.

Had hand surgery two weeks ago, got the stitches out yesterday. Now in an hard cast. Incisions just short of the left thumb and a small one on my lower forearm. Saw the PA. She said everything looked good although the main incision looks real angry. Pain is manageable however when the cast comes off in a month I start physical therapy. I saved a little Oxy for that.
Glad it's going good, My big toe arthritis was crazy, there is zero in the rest of that foot. Just that one joint.
Doc figured I had hurt it in the past.

good news. happy to hear !! just in time for a good summer, thanks for the information, ed

Glad it's going good, My big toe arthritis was crazy, there is zero in the rest of that foot. Just that one joint.
Doc figured I had hurt it in the past.
Yeah, it’s interesting how he did the repair. Basically cut a piece of bone out at the joint and replaced it with a piece of tendon that he harvested from my forearm. I had the right hand done back in 17. Absolutely no pain and full movement. Glad to see the foot is healing. Suggest you start putting vitamin E on the incision site. That will reduce scarring.

Yeah, it’s interesting how he did the repair. Basically cut a piece of bone out at the joint and replaced it with a piece of tendon that he harvested from my forearm. I had the right hand done back in 17. Absolutely no pain and full movement. Glad to see the foot is healing. Suggest you start putting vitamin E on the incision site. That will reduce scarring.
Thanks, I am useing the vitamin E , that picture was at the 2 week point.
Now at 6 weeks it looks real good.
I ended up with a small plate and 6 torx screws lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back