• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Surgery day , oh boy.

Mark the correct surgery area with a felt pen, in case the "experts" get confused. Be sure they don't take your plumbing so it can go to Rosie O'Donnel or another disgruntled non man.:lol:

Good luck & get well soon, after they carve on you...
:drinks: a full speedy recovery

Well it's here, going in this early AM to Des Moines for my big toe joint fusion.
Bad part is the no weight on that foot for a few weeks,
Glad I am getting it done, the cortisone injections only last a couple months at this point.
Wonder if they use torx or Phillips lol , I will have to ask.
Catch you guys later.
I had that done a couple years ago, walked in a boot several months, but after it healed I was able to walk again without pain, even went on some wilderness canoe trips and portaging with a heavy pack and all was good. Main thing is that you stay off of it, the bones have to heel at just the right angle so you can walk properly. Only small issue I had was the big toe rubbed a blister on the toe next to it, as the big toe is now slightly shorter and bent a little over.

Hope all gos well and take it one day at a time.

im having problems with ( hallux rigidus) they want to put a plastic piece in between joint, its not as severe as yours, but 6 weeks in a boot ! and its my right foot, no driving !! going for a shot tomorrow. keep us posted, ed
Same thing I had Edward , hallux rigidus stage 4 , unfortunately my arthritis had grown down to the bottom of the joint also. I did the shots for aprox 3 yrs.
I had see two podiatrists I wanted a second opinion. I wanted to do the hemicap or cartiva joint repair. From my research the hemicap looked to me to be the more durable option as they have a long time track record.
But as luck would have it plus my own procrastination mine progressed to far and had to be fused.
If they are telling you you still can do a joint replacment my 20/20 hind sight says get it done.
I'm on the same basic 6 week time line.
Good luck with what you decide.
There are some good YouTube videos on the subject also.
PM me anytime and will update you on how things are progressing.

I had that done a couple years ago, walked in a boot several months, but after it healed I was able to walk again without pain, even went on some wilderness canoe trips and portaging with a heavy pack and all was good. Main thing is that you stay off of it, the bones have to heel at just the right angle so you can walk properly. Only small issue I had was the big toe rubbed a blister on the toe next to it, as the big toe is now slightly shorter and bent a little over.
Thank you. That is encouraging news.

It's Robertson dammit! :lol:
My humblest apologies..... :lowdown:

Blackadder 1.gif

im having problems with ( hallux rigidus) they want to put a plastic piece in between joint, its not as severe as yours, but 6 weeks in a boot ! and its my right foot, no driving !! going for a shot tomorrow. keep us posted, ed
If you have a console, you could take it out put your right foot over the tunnel and use your left foot. Or instal a left foot feed I have seen both done successfully. If you don’t have a console you are a step ahead. Worked with a WW11 vet that was a tank commander that lost his right leg above the knee, and drove with his left foot until he passed away in his 80’s.

Problems you may
encounter....(both of
mine are fused, (due to
frostbite/accident).
Hiking/climbing on any
type of an incline.
Cold weather, type of
shoes/boots, even
trimming your roenails
may become bothersome
as you're not able to change
the angle of cutting.
Also, what types of socks
you wear will affect the
pressures applied to the
ends of the toenails.
Ingrown toenails may
become problematic.
And, of course, running
for your life is used
figuratively.
Not trying to be a Debbie
Downer here.

Problems you may
encounter....(both of
mine are fused, (due to
frostbite/accident).
Hiking/climbing on any
type of an incline.
Cold weather, type of
shoes/boots, even
trimming your roenails
may become bothersome
as you're not able to change
the angle of cutting.
Also, what types of socks
you wear will affect the
pressures applied to the
ends of the toenails.
Ingrown toenails may
become problematic.
And, of course, running
for your life is used
figuratively.
Not trying to be a Debbie
Downer here.
I hear ya, every action has a.....
My Dr./ surgen is a straight shooter thank God. I knew most of the points you brought up.
He was sure to point out things were not going to be the same.
One plus is I have allready been down the ingrown nail treatment on that toe .
Had half of it removed and the bed killed off. So far so good.
I was at the point of needing to take care of this, it is doing pretty well this AM ,
All ready got my rear chewed for scuffing up our hard wood floors, Lmao, things are back to normal.
Any advice or need to know things from you guys that have been through this is welcome.

My issues needing surgery have been above the waist; lower back laminectomy, bi-lateral CTS, umbilical hernia, two-neck repairs…so far so good below the waist. Lol.
Hope your recoup goes well.

If you have a console, you could take it out put your right foot over the tunnel and use your left foot. Or instal a left foot feed I have seen both done successfully. If you don’t have a console you are a step ahead. Worked with a WW11 vet that was a tank commander that lost his right leg above the knee, and drove with his left foot until he passed away in his 80’s.
I have different extremity issues, but I bought a set of cheap portable hand controls for around $100 I use on long trips in my daily driver, after my wife found out I was switching feet, or using a crutch tip. I have a premium, permanent set installed in the GTX. Much pricier, but has the advantage of driving with either the pedals or the hand lever, with seamless transition.
hand controls.jpg

I have different extremity issues, but I bought a set of cheap portable hand controls for around $100 I use on long trips in my daily driver, after my wife found out I was switching feet, or using a crutch tip. I have a premium, permanent set installed in the GTX. Much pricier, but has the advantage of driving with either the pedals or the hand lever, with seamless transition.
View attachment 1623217
How do you keep that sweet GTX floor mat so pristine? Mine looked nice – then they didn’t.

20170709_160429.jpg

I'm a veteran of five joint replacements and one back surgery....you will do well.

Good luck.

Mark the correct surgery area with a felt pen, in case the "experts" get confused. Be sure they don't take your plumbing so it can go to Rosie O'Donnel or another disgruntled non man.:lol:
Make sure you get a circular incision, not a circumcision.

Just now reading this so you've already had your surgery. Here's hoping it went well and they gave you some good pain meds to get you through the coming weeks. Take care.

Well it's here, going in this early AM to Des Moines for my big toe joint fusion.
Bad part is the no weight on that foot for a few weeks,
Glad I am getting it done, the cortisone injections only last a couple months at this point.
Wonder if they use torx or Phillips lol , I will have to ask.
Catch you guys later.
Hope all turns out well. I’m scheduled for the 18th for a left thumb and wrist repair

Auto Transport Service
Back