• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake light /parking light fail

Gregg DeGeorge

Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
Having a weird problem with parking lights and brake lights ,some times I have brake lights and parking lights everything works as it should ,park the car for a few days no parking lights or brake lights no power to brake light switch,shake the wires under dash going to headlight switch they usually come back on for the rest of that day I’m out with the car

My experience with intermittent tail light and brake light issues are usually caused by the turn signal wiring but I'm thinking you have some bad connections elsewhere. Sounds like maybe bad connections on your headlight switch may be a good place to start.

Ya thanks sometimes I can just wiggle head light connection to switch and then there back on ,other times playing with dimmer roll switch in dash they come back on ;I sent that switch out had it redone cleaned and put back together this time nothing seems to work thanks

My experience with intermittent tail light and brake light issues are usually caused by the turn signal wiring but I'm thinking you have some bad connections elsewhere. Sounds like maybe bad connections on your headlight switch may be a good place to start.
Thanks I have another new switch going to swap over to power steering next month when I pull column I’ll change out switch ;it’s just weird I drove car on a wed local cruise night then on sat night no brake lights or parking lights I didn’t do anything different that’s why I’m at a loss were to look thanks

Disclaimer.
I'm looking at my custom simplified prints for these circuits that I've drawn up from factory 73 and 67 prints.
And they seem the same basically to each other.
You year car probably will be a different switch, but from what I see the principles are the same.
In other words, the wires probably won't match my cars at all at the switch connector.

Your parking (tail/running) lights are fed from a different source than your "brake/turn" lights in normal operation.
I'm speaking of the bulb filaments there.
The brake lights are hot all the time directly off the battery buss .
The turn filament is fed off of your ignition switch via the turn signal flasher and so your turn signals only work when keyed on.
(You may know this already)

But the turn signal fulfillment is fed off of the battery hot buss when you use the "flashers".
That changes the circuit flow
Other than the "flasher" mode, they have independent feeds to your turn signal switch.
My initial thought is that is what he said in post 2.
The grounds at the tail light assembly would be a common item to each bulb.
BUT there are duplicate grounds for each bulb, I would think on all cars.
So that doesn't seem likely unless it's grounds on both side?
Check that.

I'm stumped with the info you have given.
Before you do anything major, if it happens again before you do anything with the brake switch, turn the flashers on.
If that works the flashers, it will point to an connection at the headlight switch and eliminate at least part of the turn signal switch.
I think I've covered it accurately.

I had a lot of "fun" figuring this out
67 charger instrument panel page 1.JPG
Simplified turn hazzard tail lights FINAL.jpg
on on a 67.

Thanks this car been apart since the 80s the lights are killing me I’m on the road but trying to get it dialed in 4ways never worked ,dash lights turn signal lights inside the car don’t work, fuel and temp gauge I replaced but are working fine thanks

Thanks for all the help it turns out the pink wire coming off fuse block to flasher powers the brake light switch ;so it’s making sense today thanks again

Auto Transport Service
Back