• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bringing it back to factory specs

I've got to say, that looks pretty rediculous...Did they honestly do all that from the factory? Was the guy with a paint marker on drugs?

Rediculous..... yes, but I have documented proof that it was there from the assembly plant. If it was not there before, I wouldn't have put that stuff back on. Back then, the factory workers did stuff like this for change in assembly techniques, updates, or even just messing around with one another. In this case, it could very well have been a directive to start taping the e-brake cables down for shipment to where they would have been installed on the assembly line floor.

Lets face it, this was just a boring old job for these guys who probably got a kick out of doing something different for a change. I remember reading an interview someone documented with an assembly plant worker who said he was part of the crew who installed the spare tires in the cars. Him and the other workers would make up a game to see if they could get the spare tire into the trunk compartment in one bounce. Another worker who worked now for a dealership said a customer came in with a noise complaint with something rattling inside the door panel. Upon service, the worker found that someone at the factory had tied a nut on a string with a little note that said " ha ha ha, you found me!" and hung it somewhere inside the door behind the door panel and the skin so it would make noise if you hit the brakes or did any other kind of inertia.

Again, I checked with multiple people from local Mopar guys to high end restorers like Frank Badalson who have never come across this type of marking before. What it actually stood for is anyones guess unless someone knows someone who worked at the St. Louis assembly plant back around Sept-Oct of 1968.

After seeing Brian's dad's GTX yesterday at E-Town I like to say WOW.
I had a nice conversation with his Mom and don't worry now that the car is done they are going to get him the help he needs!!!! Just kidding. I am a very **** guy and had some real nice cars over the years. I don't think I have the patience and know I don't have the body to do anything close to accomplish what he did.
I found one thing on the car that needs to be cleaned better and for $1000 I will tell Brian what it is! HA HA
Time to enjoy that beautiful car!!!!!
Ron

Ron,

I wish I had the chance to talk to you but I was asked to help out judge by Bill and John since they were so short handed. I even missed walking the swap meet due to not having enough time plus the whole lack of time didn't allow for me to make up the snow cones I typically do for my friends and fellow club members. Oh well, always next year! lol.

Thank you for the very kind compliments on Dad's car. I still have a few small things to do to the car. I forgot to paint the hood striker the body color but as you know, sometimes time goes by way too fast and you have to focus on other things. I must say that working on cars and doing this kind of thing is very therapeutic for me as crazy as that sounds. I get total enjoyment out of doing this, especially since it is for my Dad! Granted, sometimes these cars can drive us crazy when things don't go right but when they do, man..... the smiles they bring! Best part is you know you did the work yourself and it makes it that much more special.

As it was, it got rained on and we drove home in some showers so the car (as well as my charger) will be given a full once over detailing to clean everything up. Like I said, there are a few other things on my list to check off still before I give the car the official seal of approval. lol. For the most part, I'd say the car is 99% completed with the really small detail things to work out or correct.

Ron,

I wish I had the chance to talk to you but I was asked to help out judge by Bill and John since they were so short handed. I even missed walking the swap meet due to not having enough time plus the whole lack of time didn't allow for me to make up the snow cones I typically do for my friends and fellow club members. Oh well, always next year! lol.

Thank you for the very kind compliments on Dad's car. I still have a few small things to do to the car. I forgot to paint the hood striker the body color but as you know, sometimes time goes by way too fast and you have to focus on other things. I must say that working on cars and doing this kind of thing is very therapeutic for me as crazy as that sounds. I get total enjoyment out of doing this, especially since it is for my Dad! Granted, sometimes these cars can drive us crazy when things don't go right but when they do, man..... the smiles they bring! Best part is you know you did the work yourself and it makes it that much more special.

As it was, it got rained on and we drove home in some showers so the car (as well as my charger) will be given a full once over detailing to clean everything up. Like I said, there are a few other things on my list to check off still before I give the car the official seal of approval. lol. For the most part, I'd say the car is 99% completed with the really small detail things to work out or correct.

If you remember we did talk for a short time but then you threatened to hit me with your clipboard!
Ron

So I was at Dad's today cleaning up the GTX from the rain we got caught in at the Mopars at E-town show. While cleaning out the stones and dirt on the brake pedal I decided to pull it off and low and behold I found this on the back side!

Front
CIMG2050.jpg

Back
CIMG2047.jpg

Back (close up)
CIMG2048.jpg

Looks like we have the original brake pad! Again, this brings to mind the question of whether it had 9,000+ miles or 109,000+ miles on it when we got it. With all of the original parts on this car, I'm still leaning towards this car being a 9,000+ mile car.

So, nearing the end of our restoration, I decided to tackle freshening up the steering column since we are now done with shows with this car till next year. Here are a couple pics of the steering column disassembled with a picture of the steering column shaft showing where the black paint (appeared to be gloss black) was sprayed till. The coupler was disassembled as the rubber seal was dried out from 45 years of age. A black rubber repro one was obtained and installed. Surprisingly, the bow tie shaped metal pieces inside the coupler showed almost no wear! Another nice thing is that the column showed zero evidence of ever being abused or in an accident as the plastic filled pins are still there and have never been collapsed.

Column all torn apart.

IMG_0131-1.jpg

evidence of gloss black paint applied by spray gun.

IMG_0132-1.jpg

So the steel dash has been painted with the correct suede paint after the light surface rust was taken care of. While I had the paint mixed up, I painted the steering column as well. Tomorrow, reassembly of the steering column!

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

Forgot to post the finished steering column pics. Its been done for almost a week now.

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

original turn signal harness with paper tag still attached!

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

factory champagne colored tape that held the plastic cover together.

IMG_1205.jpg

same tape showing the black adhesive backing.

IMG_1206.jpg

original turn signal harness. Cancelling cam was popped off and old dried up grease cleaned out. Contacts cleaned up and new dielectric grease applied.

IMG_1207.jpg

OK, I'm convinced...resq302 is in possession of a TIME MACHINE! ;)

Thanks TeKhouse! However, my Dad owns this car but I will make sure it stays in the family. Especially since all of my blood, sweat, and tears went into restoring it! And yes, I couldn't ask for a better example to start with. Like you said, it is virtually a time machine that pretty much fell into our hands. Its almost like the car chose us as it knew the quality of work that I do to cars.

Since I forgot to take a picture of these before I went to work last night, here are some more pics of the emblems that I restored for Dad's GTX which goes on the front of the hood and on the hood scoop bezels for the air grabber system.

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

Where did you find the suede paint for the dash and column?

Its not the real / actual suede paint however, it is the correct color interior paint for the dash and column. The original suede paint was discontinued for some reason. My guess is that they found the talc that was in the paint to give it the texture was causing some kind of health problems or such which is why it is no longer available. You can achieve the same effect if you spray the paint on the parts and then the last coat back the gun away a little further and "fog" the last coat on so the mist somewhat dries in the air and just lays on top of the last tacky coat of paint that is on the dash. This gives it that slightly rough texture. Same thing can be done when trying to get that "Organisol" textured black look.

:BSMeter: Just admit it, it's a brand new NOS column isn't it? seriously though, it really does look new. Great job

LOL ha ha Ha ha ha, that's too funny. Thank you that is a really really nice complement, thank you. As you can see him going after the whole car in the same manner. Just a couple more odds and ends to do and the car is finished.

So I got some more accomplished on Dad's GTX today. The hood stripes have always bothered me since we got the car. Mainly because it was not the correct finish. The stripes were originally something called "organisol" which was a textured low gloss black paint. I was able to get the same result with a similar paint and like the dash, I fogged on the last coat to give it that "textured" feel.

IMG_1241.jpg
proud owner in the background!

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

Next week comes more reassembly now that the painting is totally finished! I gotta say, I can't wait to get his car back together and see the completed result. The car just keeps getting better and better and more and more correct the way the factory would have done it!

Auto Transport Service
Back