• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bringing it back to factory specs

Brian, I have to give you my highest compliments on this restoration...! Its probably better than a professional job.

Brian, I have to give you my highest compliments on this restoration...! Its probably better than a professional job.

Hi Tom,

Thank you! What else can I say but other than I have high standards and like to do the work myself to ensure that things get done right. There are very few people who I would let touch our cars. Added to the fact that Dad is working on a very limited budget since he is retired, doing the work myself is saving him a TON of money as he only has to buy the supplies or parts that we need. No doubt this will be the best car that I have ever done as I couldn't have asked for a better vehicle to start with.

Hood scoops, engine size emblems, and air grabber screens all repainted and installed.

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

So, today was supposed to be the day that we started putting the GTX back together with starting with the newly restored air grabber system that Dad got from Russ Jenkins of Restoration Full Circle. Unfortunately, we had a little hold up as Dad misplaced the gaskets to install under the hood scoops to the hood so until we find them or the replacement set comes in, these pics will have to do for now. If you have not seen Russ' work before, you will be absolutely amazed. These parts certainly deserve to be on the GTX as the amount of detail will blow your mind! To say that these are restored to OE or better is an understatement! Russ certainly out did himself as far as I am concerned. Truly amazing work. I'll let the pics show off these fine pieces. All factory original parts that are either restored or repaired. New rubber and foam seals are included. Correct plated hardware and brackets all down to the smallest detail! Way, way better than the warped, incorrect painted, have to drill your own mounting holes repro's that are out there.

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

As I said, correct down to the SMALLEST detail. Pentastar logo and part number on the rubber seal for the flapper door inside the fiberglass halves.

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

To say that this thing was protected in shipping is an understatement! Russ builds a crate for these pieces so they certainly do not have any chance of getting damaged. Even the bubble wrap inside the crate was beyond what I imagine could have fit inside the crate.

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

Got some major work done yesterday. For those who have not installed an Air Grabber system, its not for the faint of heart! It requires a little finessing to get it into the proper spot without cracking or breaking anything. Pass side took me the longest and driver side went right in like I've done it a million times. Go figure. lol I just have the cable left to install under the dash and its complete. More progress hopefully on Monday!

Hoods scoops installed!

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

Air grabber system installed under the hood.

IMG_1279.jpg

Air cleaner parts installed.

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1281-1.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

Man that thing looks great, too bad it isn't a '68! Did the car come w/ an Air Grabber from the factory? I know you wouldn't add something to the car it wasn't born with.....:grin:

eh, well, thats one of those things that Dad wanted. Its not that hard to remove if we ever wanted to return it back to true OE condition. Consider it a "Day 2" addition! lol

So lots of progress in the last couple of days. Windshield is back in with a new rubber gasket. This probably was the most stressful part of the resto for me. I was so worried that when I reinstalled the windshield, I was going to crack it. I'll do a separate thread on the entire windshield installation as this was my second one I have done. My charger being the first.

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

Tools used: (Key is to use a lot of windshield cleaner as a lubricant to slide the gasket over the glass.)

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

Since progress was going so well with getting the windshield back in, I figured it was time to get the steering column back in, too. I took the precaution of wrapping the steering shaft with some bubble wrap so as not to scratch up the freshly painted column. With the help of my father I fed the steering column through the firewall and guided it into the correct alignment of the steering box. For those who have not removed your steering column, there is one tooth that is wider than the rest which should be straight up to ensure the steering wheel is centered to the wheels on the steering box as well as where the steering wheel mounts up. There is also a notch on the steering shaft knuckle that helps you align the splines. After the splines were mated, the column was then bolted up to the underside of the dash and wiring was all connected. Steering column cover was then installed and the installation was completed.

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

Glad you are going into such detail. It really helps us that are doing or planning to do the same with our cars. Will be waiting for you to show us your windshield install.

Yesterday, I had a PM from someone who was working on doing a windshield for a similar sister car, a 69 Coronet convertible. He was inquiring how the trim came off and I realized I had forgotten to post those pics. Be aware that the convertible trim is different than the hard top trim pieces. I have to say between my charger and Dad's GTX vert, the trim on the charger was a LOT easier as it required less stuff to remove. On the convertibles, you first needs to drop the top to expose the 7 screws that hold the two piece top windshield / header trim. Once that is removed, you can then move on to the side A pillar trim. This needs to have the A post weather stripping removed to reveal the 4 screws that holds the stainless bracket in place that holds the weather stripping. Once that is off, you will find another set of 4 screws that holds the trim for the A pillar windshield trim. Now that the A pillar trim is off, you can remove the lower two piece windshield trim with the special trim removal hook / tool. Installation is in the reverse order taking time to install all of the screws loose till all of the screws are in. Then you can go back and tighten them snug.

Pictures are from when I was installing the trim. Removal would be in the reverse order.

lower windshield trim

IMG_1323.jpg

A pillar windshield trim installed, weather stripping stainless bracket being lined up.

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

Header / upper windshield trim installed

IMG_1327.jpg

trim all installed

IMG_1328.jpg

completed project with wiper arms reinstalled

IMG_1329.jpg

Great thread with lots of good pictures to reference! The car looks fantastic - nice job!

I have to tackle my windshield soon and I am really scared. Probably scared enough to farm it out, but I worry about farming it out too. Maybe checking out your thread will give me the confidence to try it. Thanks for posting!

Got the interior all back in tonight and pulled the two lower dash end caps for the steel dash frame so I can send them out to get the chrome plated plastic done. Can anyone recommend a good vacuum plater? I know CV Vacuum platers went out and they did all the work on my charger years ago.

I really like that sticker, "sniff but don't touch", lol, If mine was like this one, i think i would have to know where to get one bud!! Great work and looking real good!. :)

Ron, its actually a static cling that we got at a car show from Hagerty. I've found its a nice place to put it as it does not obstruct your view through the windshield, and that window stays in place while the others we typically have rolled down at shows.

Auto Transport Service
Back