• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bulk head connectors

For what’s its worth my 72 Charger had the entire harness burn up from the electrical problems highlighted in the Mad Electrical article. It wasn’t just trucks.
Those wires suffered a dead short, could have been anywhere in the charging circuit. A correctly sized and operational fusible link should have prevented that type of damage. That cluster has been exposed a high level of moisture, rusty fasteners but no indication of heat buildup at the ammeter connections.

For what’s its worth my 72 Charger had the entire harness burn up from the electrical problems highlighted in the Mad Electrical article. It wasn’t just trucks.

nobody said it was just on truck, is just what MAD ppl says, so they are wrong on that... TOO.

Now... what caused YOUR problem ? would need to be checked.

ppl still thinks electricals last long forever, and that's not posible even less with all abuse allong the years supported on a bad charge balance made from factory of course. You change tires, brake pads, service your carburetors... so well, electricals needs to be checked and mantenienced too. But everybody makes it just when already got burnt. Then blame everything but the real cause.

I replaced the wiring in my '62 Savoy Suburban using the Ron Francis "Mopar Retro Series" kit (WR-95). It's a "generic" kit, not specific to any make/model.
I eliminated the bulkhead connector and ran the wires directly through the firewall. I also eliminated the ammeter and installed a voltmeter, solid-state voltage limiter, solid-state voltage regulator, and new printed circuit board.
I built the car as a "driver", so originality wasn't a concern.
The kit came with instructions, but I would also recommend having a Factory Service Manual and/or a color wiring diagram from Classic Car Wiring. Don't throw away the original harness until you've completed the job.
https://www.ronfrancis.com/
http://www.evanswiring.com/
Note: Evans Wiring lists bulkhead connectors under the "Products Catalog Page."

You can use the original harness to check wire lengths and routing too.
Most of the wiring is pretty simple except the 3-Speed/variable speed wiper motor switch, and the signal/brake/hazzard switch & flashers (when using generic aftermarket switches.)

Auto Transport Service
Back