• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer beware

ckessel

Local time
4:38 AM
Reaction score
As some of you know, I've been on the hunt for a driver, mechanically sound 63-72 b-body wagon. Missed out on a couple plus a really nice 66 Monaco wagon. Even though wrong platform, was still nice. Since we were down in north San Diego county over the weekend, we did a detour on the way home to check out this 63. When I talked to the two guys involved in this, it sounded like a really good deal. Color change with stripping/jambs color matched/engine bay done with engine out. Rust repair in spare tire well with metal replaced. Matching new interior. Engine rebuilt while it was out. Tank flushed and cleaned. Good tires. Drive it home. I told the guy who has the car that if it legit, I'd be back down with a trailer and dough.
It does run so that is ok. However...I went to back it out of the building and no brakes[ at least I didn't put it in reverse]. Got out and looked under the dash as it felt like nothing was there. All hooked up but the master was toast and fluid down the backside of the firewall. Stepped on the e-brake...nothing. Looked under the car, see no adjustment left on the cables and the cables were drooping. Since I'm at that level, I look at the floor and see hokey metal replacement with booger welds and MIG wire Stalactites hanging down. Look at the bottom of the tire well. Yes metal was replaced. It was not fitted to the area, looked like recycled sign material, more ugly *** welds and not painted. Car looked like the Exxon Valdez under the engine/trans. Tire are a mix and not road worthy. Left front stud rod bent. Front signals don't work. Rh wiper arm came off with the splined hub when I turned them on. The hub is new but someone didn't peen the shaft over it for retention. And still more issues found. I think the engine was built by Krylon. No clue about the trans, diff etc since I couldn't move it safely.
Needless to say, I said no thank you.
1963 dodge st.wgn for sale by owner - Hesperia, CA - craigslist

"Runs and drives excellent" Ya, he didn't mention stopping it. Good thing you didn't crash.

Caveat Emptor, buyer beware :luvplace:

Btw, the Exxon Valdez was a fairly new tanker when the spill happen...so it probably looked pretty good in the under carriage :D

Once the avalanche started, I wondered just how many more issues there were to be found. At least the detour got us out of the LA traffic mess. It was heinous on Friday mid day. Not so bad on the return since we did the 15, 215, 15, 395, 58, 99 then the 46 west for home. Not much time added on and way less stressful on mama. She drove most of the way down south and we split it on the way home.

Good thing you have an eye for such things.
It’s likely some poor fella will take the cheese and be very disappointed.

It’s too bad because that wagon looks pretty sharp at first glance.

Looked at lots of vehicles that were advertised as 'like new' and those are the ones that I looked at the hardest. When I advertise something as like new (mostly parts), it is but most 50 year old cars are not like new unless they've been fully restored and those are not outside. Nuts.....

When I talked to the gent who did the work, he told me about what was done beyond what I could see. Was doing mental math running figures and figured what a great deal. The hunt continues. I forgot to add onto the condition of the future purchase that a rust bucket or ex Dukes Of Hazard stunt training car are not welcome. I already have a project, don't need another.

Auto Transport Service
Back