• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying off Marketplace

WAYNES WORLD

Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
So I decided to go ahead and forgo the 318 build (Thanks to some great advice here) and look for a 360 to build. On marketplace someone listed a 93 360 engine assembly for $200. It's a LA engine with the roller cam so I send a message. He replies and I ask if he's available the next day and where he's at. He said he is but won't give me a location. I seen he is in NJ and I'm in MD so I really needed to see where he was so I could plan the trip. His reply was his zip code only. So the trip would be 2-1/2 hours. I agreed the price was fair, cash and he had a way to load the engine. But again I asked for the address and he said nope. Offered my number to verify but he refused to call or provide an address. Wanted me to drive until I was close then contact him on the messenger before he would give me the address. I said no way and left it at that.
What am I missing here? I go back to the days of buying out of the back of magazines, JC Whitney, PAW with money orders and checks. So I'm still looking for a roller LA 360.
Wayne

Seems a bit over the top but not terribly unlike experiences I’ve had. I’ll generally get the address the day-of or at least the street name. Bought a Beetle a few weeks back, that was 2 hours away and the guy gave me the address the night before. Wasn’t expecting it until morning but wasn’t complaining.

Seems a bit over the top but not terribly unlike experiences I’ve had. I’ll generally get the address the day-of or at least the street name. Bought a Beetle a few weeks back, that was 2 hours away and the guy gave me the address the night before. Wasn’t expecting it until morning but wasn’t complaining.

I was about 45 minutes from leaving. I like to check the route on my computer to really see the options and since my wife likes to ride along we usually look for something fun or interesting to do along the trip or a good place to eat. I'll just keep looking.

I tell those people with questionable ads that I will meet them at the local Police Department where there are plenty of cameras. See how they respond and go from there.

So I decided to go ahead and forgo the 318 build (Thanks to some great advice here) and look for a 360 to build. On marketplace someone listed a 93 360 engine assembly for $200. It's a LA engine with the roller cam so I send a message. He replies and I ask if he's available the next day and where he's at. He said he is but won't give me a location. I seen he is in NJ and I'm in MD so I really needed to see where he was so I could plan the trip. His reply was his zip code only. So the trip would be 2-1/2 hours. I agreed the price was fair, cash and he had a way to load the engine. But again I asked for the address and he said nope. Offered my number to verify but he refused to call or provide an address. Wanted me to drive until I was close then contact him on the messenger before he would give me the address. I said no way and left it at that.
What am I missing here? I go back to the days of buying out of the back of magazines, JC Whitney, PAW with money orders and checks. So I'm still looking for a roller LA 360.
Wayne
Call your local.machine shops and junk yards, also may want to spread the word at your local cruise in. Too many scammers out there

**** him !! I sell and buy a lot on Marketplace - especially over the past two years. I tell potential buyers my city and general area to start with. When they tell me they're coming I give them my address and cell number. Back to your sale, what the hell does he think, that you're going to show up in the wee hours and steal the thing ?!?!?

Yeah that’s overboard paranoid. I would certainly walk away. Try connecting locally to other Mopar people for leads there are great folks in the community and there is real passion in these communities. But also some Mopar people can be a bit… eccentric.

I look for stuff like that on CL. I start where I am and change the box to different cities or states near me. That's how I found a set of 452's mildly ported by a Mopar machinist with all new parts and rocker assemblies for $200 in Miles City. It was worth the 3 hour drive.
If you look in the upper left of the screen, you'll see the location box, I moved the search area from Eastern Montana to Billings. I work my way down to Denver. The third attachment is the sort. With newest, it shows you the newest motors listed first.
In Mopar searches, I often see RV 360 motors

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 5.33.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 5.35.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 5.37.12 PM.png

So many FB sellers are hopeless. Poor descriptions, no location, limited photos, won't talk on the phone, etc. etc. ..... If you want to sell something, act like a #$%!ing seller!

I guess this hit a nerve. I have been looking for a secondary work truck to maintain the property and getting real tired of the process...

I would search FB , Craig's, for a early 90s dodge pickup with that engine and just drive it home.
Lots of extra parts for your project , plus scrap prices are decent now.

i have an regular la 360 from a 1974 rv thats been completely rebuilt from top to bottom.
everything in it is new,along with an Rv cam for torque and new rockers/shafts/etc.
even comes with a brand new 360 car pan and pickup installed.
it has been broken in and ran Strong,has less than a 100 miles since rebuild.
it has over 4k into it,id like a grand,and ill guarantee it runs.
it is Not a roller cam engine,but it does come with edelbrock intake and carb.
if this is something you can use,im located in 14560 ny.
*note,motor does not come with exhaust manifolds or motor mount brackets.
*these were truck items

I look for stuff like that on CL. I start where I am and change the box to different cities or states near me. That's how I found a set of 452's mildly ported by a Mopar machinist with all new parts and rocker assemblies for $200 in Miles City. It was worth the 3 hour drive.
If you look in the upper left of the screen, you'll see the location box, I moved the search area from Eastern Montana to Billings. I work my way down to Denver. The third attachment is the sort. With newest, it shows you the newest motors listed first.
In Mopar searches, I often see RV 360 motors

View attachment 1199936 View attachment 1199937 View attachment 1199939

I also use this https://www.searchtempest.com/ Very helpful since it will search all the CL in the locations you select.

Everything in this country starts out with great intentions till someone figures out a way to screw people out of their MONEY. These people doing the screwing are smart enough to rip you off and spends weeks figuring out how to do it, but to lazy to get a real job. They now show you on TV how to go to the store and take all you want with no thought of putting anyone in jail, what did we expect would happen.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back