• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calling out another member

PatsPolara

Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
So I picked up a '70 Coronet project recently, and then started parts hunting. I contacted another FBBO member who had advertised Coronet parts. I told him among other things that I needed the metal back for a glovebox door (I specified the backing plate with hinge) and a pair of headlight assemblies. In response he offered a whole glovebox door, and I said great I'll take it. I also asked whether the plastic headlight shrouds had any cracks, he checked and said they didn't. I went ahead and paid for the headlight assemblies, the glovebox door, and shipping.

Fast forward, I get the parts and the glovebox door isn't there. The only thing he sent was the hinge from the door. One of the headlight shrouds is also cracked. I contact him and tell him that the glovebox door is missing and the shroud is cracked. He responds that he left out the glovebox door to try to save on shipping costs.

This is nonsense for a couple of reasons. First of all, I paid for the complete glovebox door, so that's what I should have gotten, cut and dry, no excuses.

Second of all, a glovebox door only weighs a pound or two at most, and that weight is negligible when it's packed in with two large, heavy headlight assemblies (steel mounting brackets, buckets, rings, headlights, etc.) In other words the glovebox door wouldn't make any difference in the shipping price. So his explanation doesn't wash. I think that at some point he must have said to himself, "He doesn't really need the whole door, so I'll keep it and try to sell it to someone else" and just sent me the hinge. Again, the hinge isn't what I originally asked for; originally I asked for the backing plate (which covers the entire back of the door) plus the hinge. So I didn't even get the minimum parts that I needed. If he really had a problem paying for shipping he should have contacted me. But he kept the door without even talking to me.

When I asked him to send the rest of the glovebox door he said he would send it if I pay for shipping...again. I said, "I already paid for the complete door and shipping so I don't want to pay shipping again." He ignored my message. I emailed him two more times and asked him to mail me the rest of the glovebox door. He ignored me again. I wrote to him a fourth time, and threatened to post about the problem on the forum. He answered, "If you drag my name through the mud I'll do the same to you," and said that I'm "trying to get something for nothing." Then he tells me I'm a "nutcase" because I want the parts that I bought. Completely obstinate, can't even admit he's at fault. He tells me to return the parts at my own expense ($75 postage) if I'm not happy. Huh? I have to lose $75 because he doesn't want to send me what I bought? So I said I'll return everything if he pays the shipping, which of course he won't. No matter what, this guy doesn't want to spend another cent out of his own pocket to make things right or to honor the agreement that we had. Total self-serving cheapskate.

On the broken headlight shroud I gave him the benefit of the doubt and filed a damage claim with UPS. As the shipper he needs to fill out the paperwork. He's refusing to do it, so I'm screwed on that too.

I've been building cars and buying and selling parts for almost 30 years, so I know when I'm getting shafted and fed BS. This is one of those times. Maybe hearing it from other people will get him to do the right thing and send me the rest of the door and take care of the damage claim paperwork.

Maybe he will chime in and give his side and you guys can work it out.

He responds that he left out the glovebox door to try to save on shipping costs.

On the broken headlight shroud I gave him the benefit of the doubt and filed a damage claim with UPS. As the shipper he needs to fill out the paperwork. He's refusing to do it, so I'm screwed on that too.
In bold above if that statement is true and he never contacted you about that prior to shipment. Then he is at fault...
If that is the case then he needs to pony the part up or refund you for the part....

The underlined portion is not the shipper's responsibility. The package made it to you and you accepted it. It is your responsibility to file the claim and deal with that headache. The shipper can do that but why would he? I have been in the situation like that and their is no way I would spend all that leg work for a package someone else got and that is what this boils down to...

That doesn't even mean you will get the claim....or it takes 6 months of dragging it out to get something back...Carriers will deny just because they didnt pack it themselves and FYI if you reuse boxes UPS will deny it instantly...Good luck

Well that sucks. You might want to consider post Inge who the seller was so any future buyers can exercise some caution on any possible transactions .....

There is a Trading profile you can score members on also, so everyone can see how someone deals with other members on a sale.

There is a Trading profile you can score members on also, so everyone can see how someone deals with other members on a sale.
I don't think it applies if there wasn't a for sale post somewhere for the part originally.
And yes please post the offender so the rest of us can be aware.

One recent situation did get a fair shake when both posters told their story, then resolved it like adults.
Post his handle and let him respond. Whether you're either/both right/wrong, this is apparently the only equivalent to an 800 customer service number.

Who is it? As said above, perhaps "outing" the person will get results.

I think maybe He is giving the Guy the opportunity to respond to Him again & try to resolve before He does drop the hammer on Him here.

How did you pay? Hopefully through PayPal and not friends and family!
If you have correspondence that listed the terms of the sale you may reach out to one of the mods and see if they can act as a mediator.
Otherwise you have little recourse other than posting their name and hope all the truth is being told as not to commit FBBO suicide!

lets cut to the case post his user name ,why drag this out for more pages post him up let him answer on here :mob::poke:

Guys I guess I'm giving him an opportunity to either join the conversation here voluntarily or to work it out privately. But if there's no response I'll go ahead and name him. I really don't like having to do any of this, but the situation is just ridiculous. If I was in his shoes I would have admitted my mistake right away and mailed the part to the buyer immediately. I was really surprised when I confronted him about it, he just dug his heels in and got stubborn and refused to send the part. If he wants to drag my name in the mud like he threatened to he's more than welcome, but my only responsibility as a buyer is to pay him and I did that. So I don't know what he has to bitch about, unless he makes something up.

Moparnation74, I know that UPS is a pain and of course they don't like to pay claims. I did file the claim and do the inspection on my end, but even so they told me they need the sender to fill out a form and that they can't complete the process without his cooperation. So that's where I'm stuck.

Pat I know your pain with UPS all I use to this day is FedEx and the US Postal service I have been lucky so far :rolleyes: good luck keep us updated

20a85ba882279c4473478c1d2be0e114.jpg

Im not much into chiming in. But good communication is key. Through the processes. The seller could of messaged you and said they were short on shiping costs.. Wonder if that would of made a difference? We all know shipping is expensive when weight verses size come into play.

Spit out the name - why would the guy chime in and give his side w/o people knowing who he is? If he's outed he can share what he says is his side. I agree with 67Coronet440. There's 3 sides to every story. If you got screwed the guy should be ashamed of himself. If he has a defense let's hear it.

ya lye it out there so no one else has to be dealt the same as you . i know you want your order fixed . but your withholding whom it is , is just ranting . sorry for your plan , sorry it was a member from here that is screwing up the deal made . everyone i've dealt with from all the for ? bodies only forms have been above board . and you can tell the flakes right off , they neither have time to do of what they say . thats simple just write them off is best , and go on by .

Auto Transport Service
Back