• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

camshaft or timing chain issue

74roadrunner440

Local time
5:07 PM
Reaction score
hey every one hope every one had a better day than me when out to my car a 73 rr 440 i think it ram out of gas the other day n died in front of garage after i got it started enough to get to garage it died out a few yard from my garage and tried to start n died right away then nothing but to day i put gas in da car and tried to start it and tried n tried n still getting no fuel to carbs i removed lines to fuel pump and nothing going to the carbs i pulled pump out and manualy pushed on arm i had fuel pumming out of pump them i checked the fuel pump pin crancked engine over and pin did not move ok then i took dist cap off as i thought it didnt rotate feld the timminchain cover and didnt feel any thing moving or vibrating so it must be cam or timing chain and input before i tear fron of engine apart would be help full thanks every one
:angryfire::werd: i never thought i new rebuild after last fall would break already??:angry9:

the pump rod isn't going to move unless its riding the lobe on the cam. so unless you were holding it up there with your fingers , its not going to move unless the pump is on. its sound to me like the fuel pump took a crap

i held my finger up there on da pump and manualy pumped fuel pump and it sucked and pused fuel that was in pump and dist rotor isnt turning also

Let me get this straight - are you saying when you crank the motor over, the rotor on the distributor is not turning ?

i held my finger up there on da pump and manualy pumped fuel pump and it sucked and pused fuel that was in pump and dist rotor isnt turning also

oh ****, you didn't mention that. sounds like a teardown is in order bud. if the cam isn't turning, then something broke big time. don't crank on it any more and start pulling parts

Let me get this straight - are you saying when you crank the motor over, the rotor on the distributor is not turning ?

that's what I read too

It may not be a catastrophe, but like super said, I wouldn't crank it anymore until you yank the timing chain cover.

Most likely the cam bolt worked loose and the dowel pin sheared off and it's spinning free or the cam sprocket popped off.

- - - Updated - - -

Punctuation is your friend. Use it.

Now what fun would that be.

punctuation-saves-lives.jpg

wow thats not what i wanted to hear!! how in da hell would this happen on a new motor? so sould i buy a new cam n timing chain

- - - Updated - - -

or did i do somthing worse??? n what other damage could hapen by cranking it over ?

No. You should tear it down and actually diagnose it, like has been recommended. If you're just itchin to buy something now, I need a gasket set for my 383 and 331 Hemi

No. You should tear it down and actually diagnose it, like has been recommended. If you're just itchin to buy something now, I need a gasket set for my 383 and 331 Hemi

x2 Tear down is free, Why spend $$ on parts you don't even know if you need yet.

wow thats not what i wanted to hear!! how in da hell would this happen on a new motor? so sould i buy a new cam n timing chain

- - - Updated - - -

or did i do somthing worse??? n what other damage could hapen by cranking it over ?

exactly why I build my own **** lol

just thought somone would have a reason y this happened, cuz every thing was torqued to specs when i put engine to geather. i double n tripple check my work always!! im not trying to waste money. i didnt want this!! hope i didnt ruin engine???

- - - Updated - - -

i did build it. thats y im confused y this haappened. or what could of caused it

just thought somone would have a reason y this happened, cuz every thing was torqued to specs when i put engine to geather. i double n tripple check my work always!! im not trying to waste money. i didnt want this!! hope i didnt ruin engine???

- - - Updated - - -

i did build it. thats y im confused y this haappened. or what could of caused it

you wont know until you tear it apart. hopefully you didn't bend any valves or any other serious damage. you need to just dive in and find out what happened. may be you will get lucky and the cam sprocket just came off like 5wndwcpe says

We (and you ultimately) will have a better idea after you dig a little deeper into it.

sorry every one, just beyond frustrated with all the dollars i got into this

- - - Updated - - -

even my boss says, u spend more time working on it that driving it lol

up date on the timming chain issue. i got it tore appart to day. found that the cam gear was eaten away on the back side of gear by the cam pin. it iwas just slipping on the cam n gear witch put meatal shaving in to my engine not good at all. the bolt had worked its way loose.

Auto Transport Service
Back