• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can A 70's NASCAR Car Beat A Current One At DAYTONA?

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
Kind of hokey, but still entertaining to watch.The second comment was spot on ....

"For all the years of racing sims and they STILL can't get the sound right. That 70's car sounds like a two stroke outboard motor."

The old cars had horsepower to spare. The suspensions weren't as sophisticated and the cars were so much heavier. They could get over 200 mph if it would stay on the track. Bill Elliott went 212.8 back in 87, and that wasn't with a 69 wing car with a Hemi.

Doesn’t Nascar today use tapered spacers at all races - Then add another spacer for Super Speedways

Tapered Spacers - Restrictor Plates

Anyways HP today is only around 510 HP and 630 HP depending on spacers used

Last edited:
One of the reasons Bill France outlawed the Daytonas and Super Birds was because they held the track so well and could easily run at over 220 mph on the straightaways. They wanted Chevy to win so they had to do something to make it happen. They outlawed the Hemi and told the Mopar boys, they could run no more than 315 cubic inch engines. That helped but then they said over 200 mph was an unsafe speed so they kept mandating more rules to keep the speeds on the straightaways down. If not for those rules even those Jap crappers could more than likely run those higher speeds these days.

NASCAR also has complete control of the fuel injection system!

One of the reasons Bill France outlawed the Daytonas and Super Birds was because they held the track so well and could easily run at over 220 mph on the straightaways. They wanted Chevy to win so they had to do something to make it happen. They outlawed the Hemi and told the Mopar boys, they could run no more than 315 cubic inch engines. That helped but then they said over 200 mph was an unsafe speed so they kept mandating more rules to keep the speeds on the straightaways down. If not for those rules even those Jap crappers could more than likely run those higher speeds these days.
The speeds are too high for the fencing system that has been in place over the decades. It's IMO only by the grace of God a car or more hasn't gone thru the fence causing bedlam in the stands,
It's only a matter of time, sadly.
Speed is relative anyway. I remember very exciting races decades back when they qualified at a mere 155mph. Requiring narrower tires would reduce the speed issue and make for more of a driver race as would cutting way back on all the non stock aero tricks.
France beef with the big 3 was he couldn't push them around but he needed them. NASCAR solved that by refocusing all the attention on the drivers who were controllable and less on the cars, and why we have what we have today racing, basically valve cover stickers racing in clone cars.

Last edited:
why we have what we have today racing, basically valve cover stickers racing in clone cars.
I really am not a NASCAR fan. The name is bogus. It's not stock car racing, or even close. Personally, I think it would be fun if they actually went back to real (modified) stock cars and implemented rules to keep speeds reasonable. It would be a lot more fun to watch. Plus, it would be interesting if car companies started to build cars again to compete better.

I’m sure there was a lot of pressure from Goodyear over tire safety. From what I have read, a balls out run in a winged nascar car would destroy a set of tires in just a few laps. The speeds combined with downforce were too much and the tires would come apart quickly. Imagine one of these cars built using modern cam/head/chassis technology!

I’m sure there was a lot of pressure from Goodyear over tire safety. From what I have read, a balls out run in a winged nascar car would destroy a set of tires in just a few laps. The speeds combined with downforce were too much and the tires would come apart quickly. Imagine one of these cars built using modern cam/head/chassis technology!
That was not an issue past the first maybe few high banked races. Goodyear seems to have underestimated the racing on track demands with faster cars, and that was proven to be a very solvable problem rather promptly. And the DF back then is rather minor compared to today's racing. The main achievement back then was no more lift.

Auto Transport Service
Back