• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Challenger or 'Cuda?

SteveSS

Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
I wouldn't ask this on the E-Bodies site, someone for sure would get mad. I'm talking about the coolest version 1970 and 1971. If you feel like it, add your favorite color of that model.

We have a '71 Challenger. As we discussed last week I promised myself in 1971 After seeing Vanishing Point, I would own a Challenger. We chose Sublime even though that is a '70 color. I sure like '71 'Cudas a lot too!

RT.jpg

My 70 had influences of T/A, R/T, Kit Car and owner preferences. Loved it.

Scan duster 1.jpeg

Scan duster 2.jpeg

I saw Vanishing Point at age 14 and became a Challenger fan and Mopar maniac for life right then. I’ve got 3 of them now, the T/A was my first car purchased at age 16.
The T/A was my first car, the blue 2009 next to it was my first new car I ever bought. I sold it last year after buying my Magnum, due to not having a garage space for it anymore, but miss it!

CCE0D242-1587-4E7B-93F0-A0FDCBBA911B.jpeg

I always wanted a cuda, came across this last fall. A project of another mopar fan who passed away while redoing it. a real 70 RT convertible, with lots of nos chrome parts, it was painted in 2008 and partially assembled. The guy had it plated every year in the city before he started the resto, I assume because he had it outside and they frown on that if your familiar
20230604_220607.jpg
20230604_220626.jpg
20230604_230220.jpg
with that, anyways the expiration date on the tags was my birthday too crazy how some things just happen

Lotta folks love the 71's.. Personally I've always preferred the 70.... I'd love to own another 70 Cuda, had one back in the early 80's... But I've owned 9 70 Challengers, not counting parts cars... I did own one 71, a Hemi 4spd Challenger but currently I only had two 70 Challengers.... One numbers matching R/T

IMG_0036.JPG

And one that started life as a six cylinder car...

IMG_1411.JPG

1970 looks the cleanest of both models. Never liked the 71 of either model. 72 up 'Cudas also look good.
Dodges more upscale.

To me, the Cuda is just too short for how wide it is. It looks a little unbalanced. Still cool, but the Chally is much more proportionate. I'll take either a 70 or 71 in orange or yellow as long as it is a four speed.

I really like my B5 blue 71 Challenger convertible. 340 shaker car I bought in 1972. I've had three 72 Challengers. I also have a 71 Challenger hardtop my son and I built when he was in high school and which is stored in my shop. I've had at least four 70 Challengers including a convertible R/T.

page-3.jpg

71 Hardtop (Medium).jpg

I really like my B5 blue 71 Challenger convertible. 340 shaker car I bought in 1972. I've had three 72 Challengers. I also have a 71 Challenger hardtop my son and I built when he was in high school and which is stored in my shop. I've had at least four 70 Challengers including a convertible R/T.

View attachment 1478274
Well my preference has always been a 70... But....Yeah, I could see myself settling for a 71 Shaker Vert.... You have a unicorn there... Sweet Challenger..

That is a question that should not be asked? Lol. 71 is Cuda. The real question is '70?

I have and in build of a '70 Cuda. So I will recuse myself. (Yes, it's chicken **** answer. But too bad!)

I have two Challenger convertibles, a 70 and a 71,and a 71 Cuda 340,automatic car. I can get my E body fix when I start jonsing for it. There are a lot of things that you have to tolerate when you own an E body, but they are so cool that you will live with their short comings. B body cars drive better. As far as having an e body preference, I lean towards the Challenger with the exception of the 71 Cuda.

20220823_200509.jpg

20200613_171929.jpg

Last edited:
I like the 70 Challenger grill but I like the 72-74 tail lights better.

...and believe it or not, I like the 72-74 Barracuda/'Cuda front and rear treatment better in general.

I like the hockey stick graphics.

I like the 70 Challenger grill but I like the 72-74 tail lights better.

...and believe it or not, I like the 72-74 Barracuda/'Cuda front and rear treatment better in general.

I like the hockey stick graphics.

The 72-74 Challenger taillights are almost an exact copy of a early seventies Mercury Comets taillights, and the 72-74 Barracuda taillights are almost an exact copy of the 70-73 Camaro taillights! I guess the Mopar design studio couldn't come up with anything original so the copied other manufacturers designs. The frown mouth grille was different, not particularly in a good way. The 72-74 Barracuda grille was just reverting back to the 70 grille design, with a bit of 69 Charger grille in the center. The 70 Challenger taillights were by far the best design as was the grille, followed by the 71 grille and taillight design, and the 71 Barracuda grille and taillights were the best ,followed by the 70 Barracuda grille and taillight design.

Dad had a '70 'Cuda that began my love for Plymouths. 340, AT, Red w/black vinyl top. I am partial to that year/make/model myself.

We all have our acquired preferences, of course. Had a '70 Cuda vert (being a vert guy) BB 4spd traded it in in '74 for a demo '73 Challenger. No vert option after '71 or it would have been a vert. Missed the '70 I had. My favorites are the '70 Cuda and Challenger, next the '71's. The Cuda was yellow, shade of yellow I didn't prefer. Blue or green would have been my choices.

I prefer an E body Barracuda over the Challenger. The reason the initial A-body Barracudas didn't sell, was because the fronts were snot ugly.

71 cuda, 71 Challenger, 70 Cuda, 70 challenger. Those are my order of preference. 71 cuda bb shaker louvers and wing, nothing beats it in the pure meaness looks department. I have a 70 challenger RT, box of project.

Auto Transport Service
Back