• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Choke thermostat spring...sorta

Local time
9:44 AM
Reaction score
I just bought a 67 belvedere 2 with a 318. The carb has been remanufactured, and comes back as a stromberg 3-259 (2 bbl). I havent seen that before and am not sure its correct.
Someone removed the original choke spring assembly and attached a manual choke cable (poorly). The only replacement for the original I find has a electrical connection on it. That i have no idea what to do with or where to attach. Anyone got any ideas? Experienced it before?

You would need to connect to the "run" wire from the ignition.
Find the upstream wire on your ballast resistor (Pull both connectors key in run position and put a test light or voltmeter on each connector)
Run a new wire to the electric choke.
They usually have two terminals and you need to tie a short jumper to a clean screw on the carb somewhere.
Of course work on any of this with raw gas laying around.

I think you can find thermostatic (bi-metal spring) if you keep looking.

IMO....The origional '67 Belvedere II with a 318 engine used EITHER a Carter 1 1/4" BBD or Stromberg 1 1/4" WWC3 two barrel carb with DIVORCED CHOKE assembly in a well on the intake manifold. The choke coil was heated by the exhaust x-over passage. Only the later applications using a Carter BBD carb ('72 and later) used the electric assist coil and thermostat assembly to assist in getting the choke to warm up faster for reduced emissions. By 1969 Bendix was no longer used. A manual choke was never used by Mopar....only some shoemaker who did not understand the how's and why's of operation. The corrrct parts are available on line and several NOS parts sources.
BOB RENTON

Well the 1971 426 Hemi did have a manual choke.
A very rare exception.

YES....you are absolutely correct....good pick up....counting both Plymouth and Dodge, both auto trans and 4 speed cars....50 would be a big number....compaired to thousands of 318 installation.....but....I just forgot to remember....getting old....somethings don't work like they use to.....
BOB RENTON

It was probably converted because the thermostat was slow to open. Usually, I find the cross over passage plugged with carbon deposits. They can be chipped out with a small chisel. Probably needs valve stem seals.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back