• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CME crate engines

DocBoz

Local time
6:41 PM
Reaction score
Iv read a lot of horror stories about INDY crate engines and see a lot of people say good things about the crate engines summit carries. I found CME engines ad in Mopar muscle mag and looked them up they seem very reasonably priced. Any one know anything about them or use them? Quality, customer service etc?

I researched them on the web and saw no bad reviews either,I am considering one of their complete pump gas motors my self,I hope this thread gets some replys from someone who has had first hand dealings with them.

yeah im thinking for the cost I cant build my own at that price. but I want to make sure its not a shop that when I get the engine I wont have to pull the heads off and pan etc to recheck all the work.

Ahem, keep checking...........its a crate motor. I too hope you get some replies.

12 mo / 12k mi warranty sounds good too or option to purchase 36 mo / 50 k mi

Last edited:
I sell racing engines and I'll say this. You get what you pay for. Machining takes time and time is money. Components are only half of the engine the other half is assembly and machining. You get what you pay for in the engine world. You don't get a top notch engines for cheap money unless you know the builder.

As long as you don't have to ship the motor back for warranty service. Read all the fine print...
I highly doubt their going to ship a tech to do warranty work :sideways tongue:

My point exactly and I guarantee they won't take your word or pay you to take it to somebody local if there's a problem. I love Summit but would draw the line at buying a crate motor from anybody other than Mopar. Like I said, I'd read the warranty very carefully, including any disclaimers by Summit.

As long as you don't have to ship the motor back for warranty service. Read all the fine print...

My $0.02, how much are you really saving by purchasing a crate motor including shipping? The aggravation if there is a problem with the motor may not be worth savings. Go local, I am sure the machine shop can use the work since most of the new engines are disposable and business is down for them. You will also know exactly what is being installed in the motor.

JAG

IMO like colorado i would never buy a motor unless they did just Mopar, CME does every brand. thus why i went with muscle motors for my stroker kit, they are just Mopar, and very good at it too.

What's a short block typically run if you went local? Using 440 source stroker kit

Last edited:
I purchased a 440 from them late April and although delivery was a few weeks late, the experience so far has been great. They did the 6 hour break in last week and then the dyno pull. All numbers were as promised (even better as I wanted a 230 deg cam). They are methodical, very professional and don't try to oversell. They gave me great advice on the carb and ignition for my application. I guess I'll know once the engine is running in the car (that could be months) but so far AOK

I have a motor coming from them. I can tell you one thing. I wouldn't let a shop around here do any work for me. They only know Chevy stuff and small block ford crap. CME has a good reputation and was also featured in MoPar Muscle a few years back.
Heck, everyone keeps buying from Indy and I hear a lot of horror stories about them. We all know they aren't cheap so the saying "You get what you pay for" doesn't always apply.

Thanks guys ill be interested to hear y'all's results

I've also ordered an engine from CME this week. I'm sure you guys will be able to post your experiences/results before I get mine but I will keep updated as the process moves along. I've been dealing with Ritchie there and I have nothing but good things to say this far in the process

CHRYSLER 522 BIG BLOCK STROKER”
525 PLUS HORSEPOWER
HIGH PERFORMANCE PUMP GAS CRATE ENGINE
CAROLINA MACHINE ENGINES uses the highest Quality brand products including: Bullet, Clevite, Cloyes, Comp Cams, Eagle, Edelbrock, Elgin, Federal Mogul, Felpro, Hastings, Holley, Keith Black, Lunati, Mahle, Manley, Melling, Perfect Circle, Pioneer, Pro Comp, Probe, Quick Fuel Technologies, RHS, RPM, SCAT, Speed Pro, SRP, Victor Reinz, and 440 Source.
Except for the seasoned and SONIC TESTED 440 block, this engine is all NEW. The block assembly is equipped with Keith Black forged pistons, moly rings, brass expansion plugs, forged steel 4.25" Stroker crankshaft, 4340 forged rods, and premium rod and main bearings. The longblock is further equipped with FFS “STEALTH” Performance aluminum heads, 2.14"/1.81" diameter stainless steel valves, pushrods, valve springs, hydraulic lifters, roller rocker arms, true roller timing set and a camshaft with around .540" lift and 286/236 duration. It is expertly machined, balanced, blueprinted, plate honed, line honed, and decked. It has been assembled by a highly capable technician and spin tested to check the oil pressure, compression and oil circulation! To the complete versions are added the oil pump, oil pan, oil pump screen, timing cover, harmonic balancer, valve covers, single plane Edelbrock intake manifold, oil filter, oil filter adapter, dipstick, and spark plugs. To remove the possibility of “New Engine Bugs”, our complete versions are then dynamometer tested and “broken-in” with the proper carburetor, performance distributor and headers. The actual Dyno sheet from the Dyno printer, not a copy or generic, is provided with the engine. A final crankcase pressure test and oil filter internal inspection is performed.
When used with the recommended carburetor, ignition and exhaust system, this engine will produce over 525 horsepower at around 5300 RPM and well over 625 foot-pounds of torque at around 3700 RPM. It will have approximately 10 to 1 compression ratio and will have a “Choppy” High Performance idle. It will have fair manifold vacuum (9-11"). The recommended headers must be used in order to produce the advertised horsepower.
A higher stall torque convertor, 2000 to 2800 RPM, is necessary to realize the maximum potential of the engine.
A 12 Month - 12,000 Mile written warranty is supplied with the engine. A 36 Month - 36,000 mile optional warranty is available.
This engine is very streetable and we call it our “Almost Daily Driver”.
************************************************************************************************
CAROLINA MACHINE ENGINES is a professional automotive Engine Builder employing dozens of highly trained and motivated craftsmen, technicians and other personnel. Most of which are experts in the automotive field totaling hundreds of years experience.
Our credentials and credibility are unsurpassed. The Quality and dependability of our engines are derived from the vast experience gained from the production of over 50,000 engines since 1984 and over 50 years of intense involvement in racing and street performance. We believe it is impossible to reach such a high level of expertise without this experience and that we are very fortunate to have acquired it.
Our passion continues with our company race team which consists of the owner/driver and several key employees. The CME race team participates regularly at national and divisional events held by the NHRA AND IHRA national racing associations, where we have garnered two NHRA World championships, fourteen national titles and five divisional championships. Also we hold numerous Class titles and National Records. Our customers can be assured of our commitment to Hot Rodding.
**********************************************************************************************
Details of my order

My longblock was rebuilt by CME and I couldn't have asked for anything better. No leaks, no issues, fired up first turn of the key. They actually went out and found me two six pack rod replacements out of state. We couldn't rebuild the engine locally for anywhere near what they done it for at the time, the cheapest cost locally for an engine builder that would even touch Mopars was over a thousand more and NO WARRANTY! CME does everything in-shop and has one builder from start to finish complete your engine. When you get a great engine, their is no need to be worrying about a warranty; but it does provide peace of mind. I believe at the time I only paid around $2,000 for the rebuild.. You must be joking to believe you can do it cheaper yourself with machine shop and labor costs these days.

all in all...
I would HIGHLY recommend them! I am a VERY happy customer.

The CME built engine arrived a few weeks ago, the packing & documentation was top notch. The engine had been fogged with ATF prior to shipment which is great as it won't go into the car until spring. Overall I can say everything exceeded my expectations. Externally the paint, fasteners and cleanliness helped a good smile even better. Plenty of instructions and tips were provided on things such as the first fire-up, recommended motor oil types, timing, fuel etc... All the accessories I purchased from them came packaged in the original boxes with instructions (quick fuel carb msd ready to run ignition etc). Cant wait to fire here up. I will add more comment at that time.

Auto Transport Service
Back