• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant water frozen - what next?

Tiger torch some heat underneath it and get it started, then drain it and add antifreeze. No use just leaving it, it could get colder. Honestly sub zero fahrenheit it probably is damaged already.

Please Stop calling them freeze plugs!
They are casting core plugs and have nothing to do with coolant freezing.
Thank you for correcting me. You are correct of course! my bad. I sincerely apologize. I have gone back and edited my post. Some things bug a person and I understand that. For me, it's when people refer to the Passon 5 speed transmission (made by Passon Performance) as a "Passion 5 speed transmission". See New Transmissions
Terry W.

Last edited:
Must be from the South, as they're definitely referred to as "frost" plugs up here, as they blow out when the block gets frosty! :poke: :luvplace:

Last edited:
Must be from the South, as they're definitely referred to "frost" plugs up here, as they blow out when the block gets frosty! :poke: :luvplace:
My Red Challenger was a /6 car originally, I was collecting parts for a V8 swap from the day I bought it... But I drove it with the / for a couple years... The last winter with the / I went skiing & left the car parked at home in the driveway... When I got home I jumped in & went for a drive... About 4-5 miles later the thing was barely running, when I popped the hood all the freeze plugs yes freeze plugs.. Were laying on the oil pan rail... I banged them back into their holes with a rock & filled the radiator with water.... Drove it for another four months before I began my V8 swap....

Please Stop calling them freeze plugs!
They are casting core plugs and have nothing to do with coolant freezing.
99 percent of the world call then freeze plugs or frost plugs. Kind of like a Pussy which is a vagina and nothing to do with cats.

Had a 70 buick froze solid , started it up let it warm up a bit , kept doing that for a while and drain what water was thaw out until it was all out and this time made sure antifreeze was mixed right , for around 10 or 20 below something like that and it was alright ,drove the piss out of it . Thought sure the block was crack , surprise me.

I love the guys who run straight water in there engines here in the North. I've sold a lot of blocks to them in the spring when they realize they just destroyed their engine for no reason. If you're going to be stupid, you gotta be tough

why were you ever running straight water?
Possibilities;
Many tracks don't allow antifreeze
Straight water cools better than a glycol mix
There wasn't any antifreeze around when putting fluid in
Planned on draining but forgot

Torpedo heater obtained and running now. Have rad drain plug open and water actually came out so maybe it’s not frozen through. Water is still dripping out. Will pull dipstick now and look.

Ran straight water with water wetter for better cooling.

Heater core started leaking early in summer so that’s been out already and now at Glen Ray for restoration.

External trans cooler.

Just saying...
Screenshot_20240115_125946_Adblock Browser.jpg

Wow, heater was out, external tranny cooler. You were getting all ready for this weren't you, lol. Glad water dripped out when you opened the drain. That's a good sign.

I had that same problem years ago. I put a heating pad (for your back) on each side of the block. Next morning all was thawed out. Sounds crazy but it worked!

I used the heating pad for the top rad hose.

And just got one block drain plug out and water came out. Stupid question, do both side block plugs need to come or is one side enough?
I had that same problem years ago. I put a heating pad (for your back) on each side of the block. Next morning all was thawed out. Sounds crazy but it worked!

I used the heating pad for the top rad hose.

And just got one block drain plug out and water came out. Stupid question, do both side block plugs need to come or is one side enough?
If you want to drain it completely, yes.
Otherwise you could add straight antifreeze and fire it up/ mix it in.

Auto Transport Service
Back