• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant water frozen - what next?

We’re having subzero weather here, and I completely forgot about the all water in my radiator and it’s now frozen, including rad hoses. Freeze plugs are still intact though. The Bee is stored for winter.

Do I just ride this out and wait for it to thaw in a few days when “warmer” weather comes? Thought about adding isopropyl alcohol but I’m guessing that won’t do much now.
Been -40° here in KC for a Week! I've done this exact thing. You'll get lucky the 1st time.

When Pops was in Adak I wasn't born yet so if he found any I didn't benefit from it.... He went to Adak in 53 after serving in Korea..... If you sent me to Adak after serving in the Korean war I'd be looking to GTFO of the Military.... Instead he did another twenty years...
Have you seen the series Pirate Gold of Adak Island?

the block drain plugs were removed earlier in the week and water came out so hoping all is good.

Today I’m either turning the motor over a few times and see if milk shake is made or just drain the oil and see what comes out first as I’m assuming the water would have settled to bottom of oil pan.

@440beep will we get an answer today??

the block drain plugs were removed earlier in the week and water came out so hoping all is good.

Today I’m either turning the motor over a few times and see if milk shake is made or just drain the oil and see what comes out first as I’m assuming the water would have settled to bottom of oil pan.

just crack the drain plug on the pan....... if you see water you have a problem......... just turning it over a few times won't make a milk shake

Have you seen the series Pirate Gold of Adak Island?
First let's talk about the Red X you gave me for this post.... I'm gonna assume it was in error since it would be hard to disagree with....

My post was in response to KiwiGTX who must have seen the same program... Personally I haven't turned on a television is many years so no, I haven't seen it....

If you have the room warmed up and nothing is leaking, you are probably OK. Cracking blocks happens, but not every time something just starts to freeze. Sounds like you caught the event day one.

I need to run out for more propane so maybe I’ll stop at Autozone and borrow a pressure tester and test to 16 pounds.

But to pressure test I’ll need to refill with liquid first so guess I’ll also get some antifreeze.

You really need to pressure test the cooling system.

Last edited:
If it were me... I'd refill the system with water. Then I'd let the car run up to normal operating temperature. Then let it cool down. Repeat a few times... object is to let the block expand and contract a few times, all while checking the oil for contamination. If everything seems good, drain right away and refill with antifreeze

Electric heater under the engine...cover the motor with a couple blankets. Shut the hood.

10,000 Hail Marys and 5,000 Our Fathers.

$100.00 in the collection plate Sunday morning.

If you're not a church goer join today.

I can’t get over that some people run NO antifreeze. Up here your engine wouldn’t last the first winter, but besides that we would always run at least some for the anti corrosion chemicals.
just at the dragstrip , pain in the as to shuffle it around , no racing below 0

Slowly drained oil and it was immediately oil. Still need to pressure test once I get get drain plugs back in block.

If there is no heater available couldn't he remove the belt run the motor for very short periods. If it will start. From now on put antifreeze in it. Year around. Even 20% will help until it gets really cold. AF $ vs block $.

No prep rules partial:

IMG_2565.png

Please Stop calling them freeze plugs!
They are casting core plugs and have nothing to do with coolant freezing.
I was trained 45 years ago "CORE PLUGS" was correct, but I've since found multiple FACTORY publications that stated freeze plugs...Grrr!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back