• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cylinder head and cam question

do a leak down test . or use regulated air in that cylinder see where air is coming from. out tail pipe valve problem out the intake a valve problem out the valve cover ring problem. you may need to turn crank to have both valves to be sure.

I managed to get the oil in the cylinder today and retested. No change at all. That tells me the ring seal is good (whew).
With the readings on the other cylinders being quite good the shortblock should be OK. Problem is either a valve or possibly a worn cam lobe. Either way the heads are coming off.

Here are a couple of pics. So far there is no evidence that the heads have ever been off. A little bit of sludge but not bad. I didn't realize the stock valve springs were red. I thought that denoted the HP springs.

View attachment 1036632 View attachment 1036633

IMG_20201206_124331.jpg IMG_20201206_124312.jpg

Documenting all the brackets for the A/C. Even getting the valve covers off was a pain

IMG_20201206_154719.jpg IMG_20201206_154819.jpg

It’s amazing how much cleaner modern engines stay internally with today’s oils and computerized engine management.

Even with close to 200k the insides aren’t all sludged up like that.

All in all, for the age...... that one doesn’t look too bad though.

A buddy dropped me off another set of 516 heads. I am going to check them out and see if they may be better candidates to rebuild than my existing heads.

Here are the 516 heads I was given. They seem to be untouched, and still have the imprint from steel shim head gaskets. At first i thought they were orange which was odd, but as you can see they are actually red, which was what a lot of the full size Chrysler engines were painted back then. There are even bits of the petrified valve seals stuck in the sludge. I measured the valve stems and the exhausts are only .020 lower than the intakes.

516 Heads.jpg

I was able to slide the intake out from under the A/C bracket. I thought I could unbolt the bracket but then I realized that the bolts go all the way through the compressor from the front. I ended up tying it back to the rad support for now.

Compressor bracket.jpg Compressor.jpg

Looks like a mess right now, Before I remove the valley pan, I will clean it up and test fit the Performer intake to see if all of the A/C support brackets will still line up. There were 3 of them two to the intake manifold and one to the exhaust manifold.

Valley pan.jpg

Do yourself a favor, pull that bolt out of the center of the A/C clutch & screw in a 5/8-11 bolt which will pop the clutch off easily... Then take those bolts out so you can get the A/C bracket out of your way...

When you put the intake on you will want to just drop it in not slide it.
While you are in there a new water pump maybe?
Always tough to decide where to stop on a project like that.

Trying not to disconnect any of the A/C lines, since we just recharged it. I think I have the bracket high enough to get the manifold in without sliding it, but I may try to remove the clutch and get it out of the way altogether.

Will need to rethink the kickdown linkage as well. I may try and weld the old linkage to the back of the four barrel one. Here they are bolted together by the rear manifold bolt.

IMG_20201213_125532.jpg

Cleaned up the valley pan and did an initial test fit on the intake. Good thing I did as the webbing at the front corner interfered with the cast A/C support

Manifold 1.jpg Manifold 2.jpg

Spent some quality time modifying the various brackets for the A/C attached to the intake. The factory intake and the Edelbrock intake have the runners reversed. The low ones on the factory intake are the high ones on the Edelbrock intake.

Manifold 3.jpg Manifold 4.jpg

I still have to clearance the front of the manifold a bit. I bolted the old kickdown linkage on top of the new one, to get an idea of how I will have to cut and weld it to the new bracket. Next time I will test fit the carb and check alignment of the throttle cable and kickdown linkages

Manifold 5.jpg Manifold 6.jpg

So you want an intake leak? Replace the valley pan.... Or at least goop the thing with a premium sealer... Better yet do both..

Auto Transport Service
Back