• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cylinder head and cam question

Minor progress this weekend. Got the starter and the steering box off. Steering box was leaking like a sieve, so it's off for a rebuild. Starter will get a clean and repaint. I don't know which rebuilder uses bright blue, but it will be going back to black. It will also give me better access to clean and paint the block.

IMG_20210228_140032.jpg IMG_20210307_152132.jpg

Put the Compressor back on the cleaned up brackets, which let me remove my wooden rigging. Now I have much better access to the sides of the engine. My crank socket wrapped in cardboard and duct tape made an excellent plug for the distributor hole.

IMG_20210307_152053.jpg IMG_20210307_152147.jpg

Looking at my reference pic for the brackets, you can see how much grunge there was everywhere. Yes those are acorn shells.

IMG_20210206_105416.jpg

The heads have been sitting on the bench in the garage since I got them back from the machine shop. Didn't have much ambition today so I brought them into the basement to clean a little paint overspray and flash rust. Gave them a quick wipe of WD40 on the machined surfaces. With the .020 cut one head measured 75 cc's and the other was 74.

IMG_20210313_154852.jpg IMG_20210313_155620.jpg

Minor progress this weekend. Got the starter and the steering box off. Steering box was leaking like a sieve, so it's off for a rebuild. Starter will get a clean and repaint. I don't know which rebuilder uses bright blue, but it will be going back to black. It will also give me better access to clean and paint the block.

View attachment 1080271 View attachment 1080273
Gotta say that you are a braver man than I am to do all that work on and with the engine still in the car. That takes fortitude.

Doesn't take fortitude, just a mix of stupidity and stubbornness. I just recharged the air and got it working last summer, so trying not to open the system. Hopefully after all this work I don't find that all the freon has leaked out anyway.

I got my power steering box back from being rebuilt. That will be this weekend's project. I had them do a firm feel type upgrade at the same time. I am told it should make the steering feel much tighter. I will be happy as long as I get rid of all the leaks!

power steering box.jpg

I would strongly recommend a new pressure hose.
Looks nice.:thumbsup:
Aren't you going to paint the block first?
Or did you already get that done?

Painting the block is also on the list for this weekend. Last weekend was a write off. We'll see how much I actually get accomplished. I will have to check the size of the pressure hose connections. When I was looking to order one they were listing different fitting sizes for the same application.

Hey there are numbers under there. Apparently I have an LS motor!

IMG_20210320_111453.jpg IMG_20210320_111513.jpg

Takes a while only working on weekends. Now that the weather is getting better I need to put it in high gear

Respect for doing all that with the engine still inside the car.
I did a similar job on the engine but pulled it out for painting and repairing threaded holes for the exhaust manifold bolts.
Mine is a 440 with headers though, so even more limited space wise.

Which heads did you end up using, the original ones or the spare set?

Ended up using the spare set due to the defect in the one exhaust seat. They were pressure tested and cleaned up well. I did reuse my original valves which had already been surfaced.

Got the steering and starter reconnected. Changed out my positive battery cable at the same time, and added some heat shield.

IMG_20210321_161142.jpg IMG_20210321_161112.jpg

I would strongly recommend a new pressure hose.
Looks nice.:thumbsup:
Aren't you going to paint the block first?
Or did you already get that done?

I couldn't source one locally, so I just ordered a hose from RockAuto, Edelman 70329. Looks correct in the picture. Fingers crossed.

Auto Transport Service
Back