• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damper holes

Mike Szadaj

Local time
9:56 AM
Reaction score
Here is one of those crazy things that I don't know which forum to put under. I'm trying to mount the crank pulley. Five of the pulley holes line up with the crank holes. Not the sixth. I have another damper, and all six line up. Before you say switch dampers, the extra one was in a garage fire, and I think the rubber is now dried up. Go with five? Elongate one pulley hole? Why always me?

Last edited:
Have you rotated the pulley around the damper to see if they line up? Look at the spacing of the holes and match that to the pulley....The holes are not evenly spaced...If thats possible....

Also, I would highly suggest to get all your components with pulleys and the crank pulley on and check belt alignments....If you have mixed matched components the alignment may be a spacing issue or another problem...

Is the harmonic balancer that doesn't line up a newer aftermarket one? Most of the new ones have 6 evenly spaced holes unlike the originals that had 1 hole offset. Just file the 1 hole that is off a bit on your pulley and you are good to go.

Have you rotated the pulley around the damper to see if they line up? Look at the spacing of the holes and match that to the pulley....The holes are not evenly spaced...If thats possible....

I put the damper on in 3 of the possible 6 positions. All 3 times the same damper hole was off. Besides , like I said, I have another damper and the pulley holes all line up with it in all 6 positions. That proves to me the one hole in the damper is off. I just put on the alternator belt, and alignment is good. I am trying to scrounge up some Saginaw power steering pump brackets, so that has not been checked out.

I put the damper on in 3 of the possible 6 positions. All 3 times the same damper hole was off.
Try the other 3 positions and report back.

I put the damper on in 3 of the possible 6 positions. All 3 times the same damper hole was off. Besides , like I said, I have another damper and the pulley holes all line up with it in all 6 positions. That proves to me the one hole in the damper is off. I just put on the alternator belt, and alignment is good. I am trying to scrounge up some Saginaw power steering pump brackets, so that has not been checked out.
On my charger with all matching original equipment...I ran into the same problem and after spinning it countless times....Then it dinged about the offset hole and wallah it lined up:D

Like I said, look at the offset hole.......

If 5 of the holes line up then moving it around ain't gonna solve your problem. File the sixth hole and be done with it.

Just file the 1 hole that is off a bit on your pulley and you are good to go.

Right! This is pretty much how Marsh aftermarket pulleys are done so they fit either style damper.

If 5 of the holes line up then moving it around ain't gonna solve your problem.

I know that, I said it earlier.

That proves to me the one hole in the damper is off.

Nobody seemed to pay attention to the fact that the pulley holes line up with my other damper.
I am going to elongate the hole in the damper.

Heres the most important thing. You aren't trying to replace a cast crank damper onto a forged crank, or visa-versa?? The pulley holes are of minimal concern, but you must keep a cast crank style damper on a cast crank, unless its been rebalanced to be ok with an aftermarket or oem zero balance damper, and the other way around, meaning don't try and put an offset style damper on a forged crank that's already zero balance. Other than that, you'll be fine filing the pully hole. HTH, Lefty71, and BTW the proper place to ask this question would likely be Classic Mopar Tech, in the Engine, Trans and Driveline Forum, sine it is very much an ON-Topic question there.

I think the bolt spacing has something to with the year dampener. Up until a certain year the holes are symmetrical and other years are offset spaced. Pretty sure I read that somewhere...440 source website maybe?

Does it look like this on the top hole? Then you can partially grind out the one hole so the bolt goes in.

Got my *** chewed off on moparts for these pics so let’s try to help someone over here.

The bolt hole spacing change is about the year not cast for forged crankshaft.

71518B55-FD32-4819-9A59-A75AFB493EFD.jpeg D98602B0-7009-4DA4-8709-5ABAE0410709.jpeg

Last edited:
Just saw your other thread showing a pic of the pulley in question. Before you go modifying it to fit the dampner, I would make sure it is correct for your application. You never did state what you are working on, but I have never seen a pulley with spacing like that for a Mopar from the late 60's to mid 70's.

Auto Transport Service
Back