• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Desperately in need of help!

phrogs4ever

Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score
Greetings to all members. I am new to this forum as you may see from my profile. This is my first post, or thread. To be honest I really don’t know what it is called. Before I get into the reason for this I need to give a little back story. Please bear with me.
I am a SSgt in the Marine Corps and have been for just over 19 years. I have been to Iraq and Afghanistan along with Bosnia, East Timor, Haiti and a few others. About 8 years ago I got myself a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner. My dream car. Over the next 5 years I was able to save money from back to back to back trips over seas and put $18,000 into her. I built the new 383 and 727, painless wiring harness, classic auto air, TTI headers, Performer RPM aluminum heads, be cool radiator, electric water pump and cooling fan. Trans cooler with fan. Manual valve body reverse pattern with B&M slap shifter. Auto lock door poppers, Mallory unilite distributer and HyFire 6AL box, and much more. But the reason for my post is not what’s in the car but what’s not.
If you look through my pictures you will see me in my Dress Blues holding a baby girl in an American flag. Her name is Serenity. She is the reason for this post.
During a tour in Iraq in 2005 I was injured. I have had 3 operations on my left shoulder to correct the problem but with each it just got worst. So I was removed from my passion as a CH46 crew chief and given a desk job. During this time I took all the money I had saved up to build the car of my dreams. You can see it under construction in some of the pictures. After leaving California I was stationed with MHM 365. During that time I had my 2nd and 3rd operations on my shoulder. But more important my wife and I were blessed with our baby girl Serenity. She was born on Oct 14th 2007. She was a beautiful baby. She was our 4th child.
One of her greatest joys was to go for a ride in my Plymouth. She loved the rumble of the engine and the vibration of the car as I would rev the eng. everything was going great. On Jun 19th 2008 I took the day off from work. A sunny Thursday. My whole family spent the day in the sun. You can see in one of my pictures, Serenity was working on the old Plymouth. We had just got back from a fun drive around base.
The next day Serenity was gone. She was taken from me by SIDS in the early morning of the 20th of Jun 2008. Loosing Serenity is something I am still and always will be dealing with. After that sunny Thursday afternoon I have not been able to touch my Plymouth. I just let her sit in the rain of NC for well over years tell I moved. As I got ready to move my Plymouth I found the car would not run. The breaks had locked up and nothing was working. I dragged the car to my new house where I put it in the garage and that is where she has sat ever since. I have been unable to bring myself to fix her.
Now I feel is the time to get her running once again. I want to rebuild her in memory of Serenity. But with very limited means not only financially but physically it is going to be difficult. I am being treated for many things including PTSD, Traumatic Brain injury, my left shoulder and 6 compressed disks in my back. The 19 years I have spent in the Corps have been very hard on my body. But not nearly as hard as losing Serenity. This is the reason I want to rebuild my Plymouth. It breaks my heart to see her in the condition she is in every time I see her. Remembering the great times my family had driving around town in her was something we all looked fwd to. I need to bring that time back.
Talking to my case manager yesterday I was told I could be forced out on a medical retirement just months before I retire. I still want to do my full 20 years, but I am looking at 90% disability.
I know this may come off as a pity request. Please believe me when I say, it is not. I am not asking for pity or a hand out. I am a very proud man and have earned everything I ever had. If not for my family I would not be sending this. We as a family need to heal from the loss of Serenity.
What I am asking for is help. Help in getting my Roadrunner back to how she once was on that sunny Thursday driving with my wife and all 4 of my kids, Zoe, Tristan, Alexander and Serenity.
So what is it I am asking for? To be honest I am asking for anything and everything. My 727 TQ Flight transmission is locked up and shot. I want to convert it to a manual. I do have a few parts but not much. My painless harness that was new just 4 years ago is shot. Something was living under the hood and had a meal with it. I had a leak in the wind shield and all the interior is molded all the way down to the new seat covers and new carpet. My drum brakes all around are locked up. I want to convert to disk breaks to make the care safer. My once beautiful rims have rested and my tires are all dry rotted. All the front end bushings are dry rotted and need to be replaced. A strut rod lost the nut and washer that hold it in place. I could go on and on with the things I need.
I know this sounds like a lot and it may sound like I am begging for things I don’t deserve. But that is not the case. I am looking to buy the things I need. Like I said my means are small, but if we come up with a price for something I need I can send money every payday tell I have paid the asking price then it can be sent to me. I’m not looking to steal from anyone. I will accept donations and technical advice of any kind. I don’t know how the strut rod goes together, so if someone has a picture that would help.
Again, anything someone may not want that will fit on my Plymouth I will take. I will pay for shipping. Old used manual transmission and other parts to convert it I will buy. Sad to say it can only be a little at a time. Weather stripping on the entire car is rotted. I pretty much need to rebuild the whole car. I would like to go with EFI and air ride, but I know that is well out of my reach.
I am leaving my number home and work
My email home and work
And my address
Cell: 910-378-6729
Home: 562-452-6491
Work: 910-449-6752
Home email: [email protected]
Work email: [email protected]
Home address:
Young, G.W.
6525 Bicentennial ave Camp Lejeune NC 28547
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I will be grateful for any help no matter how small.

Please take a few min and look at my pictures of Serenity, she is

That's a hell of a story. Please don't be offended when I say it sounds a lot like some of the emails I get. I'm guessing there is a reason your "home" number is listed as "Lakewood California" but your home address is in North Carolina, and Google maps (satellite image) doesn't show any houses on Bicentennial Ave. Camp Lejeune.

I hope that I'm wrong about this, and I apologize if I am. And IF I am, I could possibly offer my services to help with your runner. Camp Lejeune is 226 miles from me, but I'd make the trip to at least help assess the condition of your car, and help formulate a course of action.

George, what's a good time to call you on Sunday and which number would be best? BTW: We have a member stationed at Camp Lejuene. I will ask him to stop by after we talk. BTW: If you want me to change your flag designation to a US flag, let me know.

Thank you very much GTXperience. I am very sorry about taking so long to get back to you. That would be great if someone comes over my house. Its good to know there are members on Camp Lejeune. As for my number, my cell and home would be best. They are Cell 910 378 6729. And again i am truly very sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I am very happy to take any help i can get. Thank you

Also if you could change my flage that would be great. I cant seem to find how to do it. Computers and me dont get along very well.

I hope this works

That's a hell of a story. Please don't be offended when I say it sounds a lot like some of the emails I get. I'm guessing there is a reason your "home" number is listed as "Lakewood California" but your home address is in North Carolina, and Google maps (satellite image) doesn't show any houses on Bicentennial Ave. Camp Lejeune.

I hope that I'm wrong about this, and I apologize if I am. And IF I am, I could possibly offer my services to help with your runner. Camp Lejeune is 226 miles from me, but I'd make the trip to at least help assess the condition of your car, and help formulate a course of action.

I dont know if i am doing this wright. I put up a reply to your questions some time ago but i see that it is not up. I am very sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I am not offended in any way by your questions. I would like to know the same thing if i was you.
My phone comes up as Lakewood California bkz i have Vonag. I set my area code to my moms house so she could call us and not paying long distance charges.
As for my address. I moved into 6525 Bicentennial not long ago. We are the first people to live in this new home. We moved from just up the street. We did live at 6100b Nebraska ct. Its the corner house. That is where living when we lot Serenity.The reason for the move is the base is, well by now, did move the Jr Marines into all the older homes and move all the SNCO's into the new homes. We had the opton to stay but with all that has happnd in the our old home, both me and my wife took the new house.
I have looked at google and you are very right, there is no home on the street, but if you look at the map and zoom in you will see the homes under constructon. I have not looked at it in some time so i really dont know how far along the pictures are to what is really there.
Again, i am not offended in any way. If you have a question please call me at any time. I hope this clears things up with you. I would hate to have people thinking i used this as a means to get help with my car and made the whole thing up. it is all true every part of it. If there is anything more you want to know please call me... Thank you, and again i am very sorry for taking so long.

It would be great if you could come out and help me put a plan togither. Maybe i could go pick you up? Or i could send you gas money. if you still intrested in helping i could really use it. I have not put a finger on it in a very, very long time. I dont know if i could get it to move. I know the breaks are locked up. It was draged to my new mome from my old one down the street. Again thank your for your offer, if it still stands i will take it.

Hey Frogs, or George, Wow, that's an intense story. I retired from the Army in Apr 2008, and was a PSG at the WTU at Ft Sam Houston in charge of 40 soldiers that were and are wounded from Iraq/Afg Ops. I know TBI, PTSD, and I also know there are way too many organizations that are willing to bend over backwards to help out. Here in S.A. we have a program called 'Automotivation' where guys like you have a place to go, a big garage with tons of tools, donated by concerned American people and business. I know this because I went to SEMA in Las Vegas and secured tons of stuff for this very purpose; to help guys like you heal and wrench their rides.

I'm not sure what your WTU has as far as facilities, I can only hope for the best, or, perhaps you could get stationed down here in San Antonio and link up with this group I mentioned! If the USMC is going to retire you with 90%, for sure VA will get you for 100%. Retiring at 20 or soon after you would not get the full benefits; it's 40-50% Base Pay, retiring with Medical Discharge you get more $$$!!! As I said, I know, I was a Platoon Sergeant at the Medical Hold Company, now known as the Warrior Transition Unit. What about your TSGLI? Were your injuries sustained in Iraq/Afg, was it combat related, enemy fire? Were you further injured here in CONUS or over in Germany?

From my experience, Case Managers are angels, they love you, they care for you, and I hope you are feeling it, and seeing it where you are!!!

As far as getting the RR back together, and operational. I refer you back to the TSGLI, and that usually is a FAT payday for wounded soldiers. Too often, they swipe their debit card buying **** like cars, trucks, houses, yeah, they go nuts! I sure hope those funds are not gone!

I know a SSG/E6 Base Pay, BAH, and with your 90% rating, rest easy brother, you will be doing fine! However, the loss of a child is something I can not relate to because parents should not bury their kids, and I would not suppose to put myself in your boots my friend, all I can say is I know it sucks, and you are and have been paralyzed to do anything you love and or like to do; especially when you are dealing with the medical issues!

But, on to the RR. Assuming you are in NC, TX is not that far away, well, it's doable! If you would like to entrust your car to a former Soldier who loves MOPARS, I can hook you up with a local shop that this is ALL they do; MOPARS. Check 'em out; www.paintshop101.com I'm also on that site; www.drblast.com as I'm the expert Media Blaster here in town, and they are expert MOPAR builders.

I can assure you that your mind and concerns will be taken care of if you head this way with your projects. Yes, this is a plug, but a plug with feeling because I was wounded over there, received a Purple Heart, and have PTSD (mild). Also, some of my buddies are buried in Arlington b/c of that war. So, if you then put MOPAR in this mix, you have my attention Marine!

I don't want to take away from anyone here that offers help, they are all good folks and have good ideas and projects going on. I only wish to give you some more options, and help remove the paralyzing trauma you are dealing with on all fronts. I am glad to see you are taking an interest in your RR again; this is a GOOD sign, and a very healthy sign too!

Take care,

SFC Donald Buswell, US Army, Retired.

George, what's a good time to call you on Sunday and which number would be best? BTW: We have a member stationed at Camp Lejuene. I will ask him to stop by after we talk. BTW: If you want me to change your flag designation to a US flag, let me know.

Thank you so very much. A good time to call me would be my work number during the day if im not at a medical appt. I have from 8 to 12 appts a week. My cellphone has a broken ringer. So if you call me on that i may not hear it. But i promiss to call you as soon as i see your number on it. If there is a member on Lejeune it would be great to have him over. He will be able to see that everything i have said is true.
As for my flag, it would be great if you could change it. I have been looking for a way but i cant. Like adding a signiture on my thing. I cant do that eather.
But i am happy to take any help i can get. I must do somthing now. Its breaking my heart to see her like that and i start to remember way to much. I know i need to face it to get better, my theropist and shrink have been telling me that for some time. Im just not ready for that yet.

Ben can't change your flag, but I can and did. Sent you a PM with my number but haven't heard from you. Guess I'll stop at the flag

Ben can't change your flag, but I can and did. Sent you a PM with my number but haven't heard from you. Guess I'll stop at the flag

You fixed my flag! Thank you very much. I did get your IM and sent one back to you. I dont know what i am doing on this thing. Some times it works others it dont. I have it linked to my military email. Now that i think about it i should have used my home email.
Thank you so very much for fixing my flag. I will be calling you today if that is ok with you.

Yup. Got your message. And as soon as the phone finishes charging I'll give you a call.

Yup. Got your message. And as soon as the phone finishes charging I'll give you a call.

I am sorry I have been out of touch for the last few days. I just got my bike out of the shop on Friday. Just in time to wreck it on Monday morning. A Marine on base made a left turn in front of me without using his blinker. I tried to stop but ended up high siding. So know my right knee looks like my left lol.

George,

Hie thee to the AmVets office. DH retired in '05 from Cherry Point; we didn't think he had much for issues, medically, except his knee and shoulder. He is rated at 80%, courtesy of the outstanding work by the AmVets rep. I'm sorry I don't have the contact information (I'm at work), but it was the office in Jacksonville, NC; if not on Camp LeJeune, then really close by.

Sorry, also, about your daughter. Parents should not outlive their children. Ever.

George,

Hie thee to the AmVets office. DH retired in '05 from Cherry Point; we didn't think he had much for issues, medically, except his knee and shoulder. He is rated at 80%, courtesy of the outstanding work by the AmVets rep. I'm sorry I don't have the contact information (I'm at work), but it was the office in Jacksonville, NC; if not on Camp LeJeune, then really close by.

Sorry, also, about your daughter. Parents should not outlive their children. Ever.

Mickimause,
If you could please get me the contact information for the AmVets that would be great. I had an automotive accident on Monday of last week. So im med down more than i was before. lol..

From the AmVets website:

Steve Smith, NSO (Reg. 2)
New River Air Station
Bldg. AS-260
Jacksonville, NC 28540
US Mail:
AMVETS
P.O. Box 4066
New River Air Station
Jacksonville, NC 28540-4066
Phone: (910) 449-5344
E-mail: [email protected]