• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detonation: Timing Plugs Compression Heads Etc

And doing plug readings on E85 ain't easy.
And you will need a higher temp t-stat as the increased amount of fuel cools the engine. Then there is the problem of oil contamination due to washing down the cylinders with all that ethanol.

Well HELL I don't know how I missed this!! For SCR I got just under 10.2, which is okay, but the cam and how it's installed can throw your cylinder pressure into unfriendly territory. And oh yes, you can get carbon build-up on a low mile engine. Your old iron heads *most likely* were nowhere near your new heads in chamber size, as in they were bigger = less compression.
Do a cranking compression test; its easy. I don't know all the criteria you used but a cranking psi of 2-anything is way too much on our pump gas. If it was actually close to 239 I'd be shocked you only got a little WOT ping in hot weather, I'd think it would rattle anytime you got on the throttle...!
If you aren't comfortable testing or don't have the stuff, bug the **** out of Greg to help you if he's in your neck of the woods:D
Cylinder #1 compression check result : 175 psi
I also discovered my in line fuel filter is before my mechanical pump instead of after so maybe I have a slightly lean fuel issue going on. Need more testing.

Cylinder #1 compression check result : 175 psi
I also discovered my in line fuel filter is before my mechanical pump instead of after so maybe I have a slightly lean fuel issue going on. Need more testing.
Ahh. Thanks for following up! 175 or close to it, in all cylinders, is pushing it with our fuel but it can be done. Cam timing and tune will play a big role in keeping the engine happy. And when you get it right that 175psi makes for a fun ride. Yes move the filter to the other side of the pump if you can, it may or may not help you but it's better there than on the suction side. Good luck!

Some of my latest plug reads on the new 505, running awesome. No pinging or funny business..and screams to 6000 like a small block..a pleasant surprise. It's there for now until I can get to the track to seal the deal. (Whenever that is--LOL)
20200925_200658.jpg

Last edited:
OP has me on ignore? Why is that? We have not had any trouble between us.

OP has me on ignore? Why is that? We have not had any trouble between us.
Does he? Maybe by mistake? He was asking for you a few pages back. (Unless you've pissed him off since then:D)

Auto Transport Service
Back