• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dogs noses...

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
Watching a documentary on dogs today: A dog can reliably discern, through smell alone, whether a TEASPOON of sugar is in a one MILLION gallon pool of water or not.
Folks, that's two Olympic sized swimming pools full of water. ONE TEASPOON!
That's incredible.

Incredible animals, no doubt
why they are "man's best friend",
even back when they were Canis Lupus, 'man' partnered with them

I don't know about the sugar deal, in a dbl sized Olympic pool
that is truly incredible

but mine they can find a bird, turkey, quail, pheasant, grouse, ducks, geese,
swim like nobody's business, in some cold *** water
or one of their many toys
or a treat

Lord Budnicks (RIP)
Buddy #1 May 23rd 2013 15th B-Day.JPG

His lil' brother Elvis
Elvis 6-3-2018 3 years old #1.JPG

Watching a documentary on dogs today: A dog can reliably discern, through smell alone, whether a TEASPOON of sugar is in a one MILLION gallon pool of water or not.
Folks, that's two Olympic sized swimming pools full of water. ONE TEASPOON!
That's incredible.
Scientifically, how the heck can they determine something like that to be true?

I had a beagle with a nose that was too good.
She'd bark on a 4 hour old rabbit track. I could tell from the sound it was cold. But the other dog or dogs would come over and they didn't have any reaction. It just confused them.

I remember one time when I was working in the hangar at the ATL airport the local police would come around every once in a while to train their dogs. A cop came in our office and asked if he could leave something for the dog to find one day. It was a piece of det cord about 4" long that he stuck on a bulletin board. About 10 minutes later in came the dog with his handler. He turned him loose and he made about 2 trips around the room and stopped right under the bulletin board and sat down. It's pretty amazing what they can smell from just a small amount. They used a beagle in immigration at the airport to catch food in peoples bags coming off of international flights. That dog was setting on his butt next to some ones bag most of the time.

I was part of the drug interdiction crew here in Vermont through the National Guard. I've seen some dogs do amazing **** looking for drugs. They never miss. You just cant beat them.

We had a wild turkey stroll through the lower pasture three days ago. This morning Remy happened to go down there and he ran across the trail where it entered the pasture and stopped dead. He put his nose down and slowly walked the entire trail of where that turkey walked. Start to finish and stopped where it lifted off to fly over the fence into the hay field. He barked a few times and came back up to the house. lol...

Mine can smell food even after I ate it while she was outside… Hearing any wrapper or the fridge door being opened from upstairs!!

14F91A87-EFB8-476C-8110-4E830009C83E.jpeg

I have heard several times on TV programs how a Polar Bear can smell a human 100 miles away.

That is a hellava long way to smell anything.

Most people could smell my ex wife before she arrived. I'm talking buffet restaurants, shoe stores, pastry shops, etc.

One of our K-9 deputies explained it to me like this. Where we smell chili, his dog doesn't just smell chili - he smells each individual ingredient in detail. Amazing animals.

I remember one time when I was working in the hangar at the ATL airport the local police would come around every once in a while to train their dogs. A cop came in our office and asked if he could leave something for the dog to find one day. It was a piece of det cord about 4" long that he stuck on a bulletin board. About 10 minutes later in came the dog with his handler. He turned him loose and he made about 2 trips around the room and stopped right under the bulletin board and sat down. It's pretty amazing what they can smell from just a small amount. They used a beagle in immigration at the airport to catch food in peoples bags coming off of international flights. That dog was setting on his butt next to some ones bag most of the time.
My sister has a couple of Beagles that went through the training program...and failed. Only one of her trainee pups made the grade at the Airport - out of around 6 I think. The older one is so clever, that you have to spell "Treat" so he doesn't know what is happening. They get pretty clued into what is going on.
The younger one failed because he kept barking at Asians.....not a good look at the airport here. :lol:

The guy training Thor was a bomb dog trainer in the military. He still trains drug dogs and money dogs.
Dogs are truly amazing.
My house cat is very alert. If you put a thumb tack on the wall and call the cat into the room he will spot it.

Mine got some more nose training today. They weren't quite as enthusiastic as they were on another day. Tossing tennis balls into grass thats 4-5" tall. Zeke just plows through it, Toga bounds. They go back and forth looking with their tales wagging.

IMG_3480.jpeg

IMG_3481.jpeg

IMG_3482.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back