• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Easiest way to Prime Hemi Carter carb

69 hemibee

Local time
9:30 PM
Reaction score
Looking for tips on the easiest way to prime a Carter carb on a hemi? I'm getting ready to fire the motor up for the first time after a rebuild. Thinking I should fill it through the vent tubes? Anybody else have easier or better way?

Looking for tips on the easiest way to prime a Carter carb on a hemi? I'm getting ready to fire the motor up for the first time after a rebuild. Thinking I should fill it through the vent tubes? Anybody else have easier or better way?

Yes, fill it through the vent tubes unless you have an electric pump. A squirt bottle works great. Oil squirt can works too.

Last edited:
Another way is to loosen the screws on the metering rod cap plates.
Let the rods pop up and squirt it in there.

Vent tubes is perfect on factory AFB’s. No turning screws, and the little fuel that spills will be the priming you need to have a bit of fuel down the intake. Do one tube on each side of both carbs. No Excess cranking the starter because you are lazy. You need to open the hood and have a look at things before a drive anyway.

A turkey baster with 1/4” hose on the end. This one is old and the gas doesn’t melt it. I have a copper tube with the end flattened I put in the end of the hose To fill the bowl vents on AVS carbs.

94C17360-A20D-4BD0-ADAC-8FD2518D4F09.jpeg 78883FE0-83A3-431E-B293-E36967FA3D02.jpeg

Last edited:
Vent tubes is perfect on factory AFB’s. No turning screws, and the little fuel that spills will be the priming you need to have a bit of fuel down the intake. Do one tube on each side of both carbs. No Excess cranking the starter because you are lazy. You need to open the hood and have a look at things before a drive anyway.

A turkey baster with 1/4” hose on the end. This one is old and the gas doesn’t melt it. I have a copper tube with the end flattened I put in the end of the hose To fill the bowl vents on AVS carbs.

View attachment 1142991 View attachment 1142992
Great ideal with turkey baster

Auto Transport Service
Back