• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock Carbs Suck!

Bruzilla

Local time
9:48 PM
Reaction score
I'm about to heave my damn Edelbrock carb into the frigging St. John's River! I had to rebuild the damn thing a couple months ago because the floats needed adjusting and the gaskets tore when I opened up, so I replaced all the gaskets, adjusted the floats, and polished the needles and their seats. I got the carb on the car today, and it's not working worth a crap. The engine runs when I spray starter fluid or pour gas into the carb, but there doesn't seem to be any gas getting into the carb. I got lots of fuel pressure, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Is there a fuel filter where the fuel line attaches to carb as you mite have that in backwards

It's not getting into the carb? If that's the case, there has to be a restriction between the pump and the carb. Have you checked the fuel filter?

polished the needles and seats? didn't the rebuild kit come with new one's ? did you check the float drop setting?

Never mind I see you have plenty of fuel pressure

Gotta be needle and seat related via float drop etc.

Keep at it take it apart clean it again

If fuels not going in at all, the floats are stuck "up". Check float drop as noted above. You should also have fuel in it when the top comes off... If there's none, figure out why. You should never touch needles and seats. The kits come with new ones.

Is it possible he put the shields that are near the floats in backward?

Sorry to say but YOU did something wrong since it WAS running but now longer is because you opened it up.

Recheck how you installed the floats and baffles. Recheck float drop and free operation and movements of the floats. Needle and seat installation.

It worked before it will work again!

Bruzilla, you say Edelbrock Carbs Suck!
Well, that's how all carbs work, not just Edelbrocks.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope you find the problem.) :)

Did you check the ground on your tail lights?

Quote Cheech -
Did you check the air pressure in the tires, or maybe it's the battery?

All joke aside, you can't slate Edelbrock carbs just as you have a problem with yours, otherwise I would have to say that about Holleys, (and I ain't) just because I had one once that I could not stop leaking...

Sounds like your floats are stuck up...

I wouldn't spend to much time messing with it before I pulled it off, removed the lid again and looked to see if it has gas in the bowls and check the float drop. If you are really brave about accidently dropping a part down a throat you can remove the top right on the car. Might also check to see if you forgot to back the idle mixture screws off 1-1/2 turns when it was reassembled.

Well, I didn't think it was the fuel filter, but I put on a new one and... it wasn't the fuel filter.

I'm going to pull the damn thing off one more time and clean it again, and if that doesn't work it's going to become a home for the fish.

Sorry to say but YOU did something wrong since it WAS running but now longer is because you opened it up.

Recheck how you installed the floats and baffles. Recheck float drop and free operation and movements of the floats. Needle and seat installation.

It worked before it will work again!
That's the problem, it wasn't working before. The engine would start fine when first started, but if you shut down and went to restart you had to hold the gas pedal all the way down to get the engine to run. That's why I took it apart and reset the floats IAW the manual.

The bigger issue is I've been reading a lot of reports that this particular carb has issues, sadly after I bought the damn thing.

I bought a Holley 750 off this forum last year. After i paid for it, i looked up the sellers user name and was horrified when I found a thread just like this one about a month older than the classified add!

When i got the carb, i looked it over with a sinking feeling i just bought someones else's drama.

I looked carefully at the cab i realized the the metering blocks were on the wrong sides...WTF!

Needless to say, a rebuild kit and READING and follow the instructions got the little Holley running tip top.

As much as I don't like Eddy's I have to agree that it sounds like something simple. I'd pour some fuel down the overflow vent and see if it fires, that will reassure you if that's the problem.

How's the quality of the fuel?

You got a clear filter?

I had a similar issue with one of my Edelbrocks and it turned out to be a fuel line rusting internally and spewing crap into the carb.

Couldn't tell until I put in a glass filter. Replaced the line and problem solved...well, after I cleaned the carb out. Didn't even use a kit, just disassembled, and blasted carb cleaner through all the passages.

One of the pump squirters in the removeable nozzle set was a bit stubborn, but SUPER easy to clean otherwise.

Don't the needles have rubber tips? You polished those?

For what it's worth, I have an Edelbrock 1411 (750) on my '69 Road Runner (383) and have had no problems. Even after I changed the rods & jets to lean it out a bit.

Agree with Ranger16.

I've got Edelbrock's on two of my cars and they work really well. One is a 1407 (750 cfm) on a 383 stroked to 426, and the other is a 1813 (800 cfm) on a 400 stroked to 499. They both are very responsive and total street torque monsters. Also have a 440 car still running with the original AVS.

Auto Transport Service
Back