• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine seized ?

Can you spin the torque converter.

I forgot was the engine and transmission already bolted together when you installed it. Or did you hook the trans up to it

Can you spin the torque converter.
I took the 4 bolts out, but the torque converter & flex plate still move in unison, along with the motor, when i turn it. But, no, the torque converter doesnt spin freely.

The tq should spin around by itself. You should be able to move the tq back from the flex plate about 1/4 inch. Are you sure you have the tq installed into the pump correctly.

The tq should spin around by itself. You should be able to move the tq back from the flex plate about 1/4 inch. Are you sure you have the tq installed into the pump correctly.
Maybe not. I'll check it out. Thank you.

Totally round
Ok, great. Just worried a major screw up was about to happen. With your 383 being an internally balanced engine, if you had the flex plate with the cut out piece, which is designed for externally balanced engines, you would get a terrible shake when you get the engine fired up. But back to your situation. With the bolts removed you should be able to push the torque converter back into the transmission about 1/2 inch and it should rotate easy by hand. Make sure you mark the point in the picture using spray paint. Reason is because the 4 bolts that attach the torque converter to the flex plate only line up ONE way. One bolt is off set and many people do not know that and may end up with 3 going in and one bold is off. They then force the last bold in. Damage. If you can spin the torque converter now, try and spin engine. If engine still will not more. I have no answer.

Good luck my thought is that it's not all the way in. It should spin freely. When you put the bolts in the tq should have moved to the flex plate.

The torque converter should be able to get pushed back about 1/4" and should spin freely
Oops I see someone already made that suggestion
I think you should still be able to turn the engine over with a bar even with the converter not fully seated.

Ok, great. Just worried a major screw up was about to happen. With your 383 being an internally balanced engine, if you had the flex plate with the cut out piece, which is designed for externally balanced engines, you would get a terrible shake when you get the engine fired up. But back to your situation. With the bolts removed you should be able to push the torque converter back into the transmission about 1/2 inch and it should rotate easy by hand. Make sure you mark the point in the picture using spray paint. Reason is because the 4 bolts that attach the torque converter to the flex plate only line up ONE way. One bolt is off set and many people do not know that and may end up with 3 going in and one bold is off. They then force the last bold in. Damage. If you can spin the torque converter now, try and spin engine. If engine still will not more. I have no answer.
thanks. I had the trans in & out of my cuda before, and learned the spray paint trick. Next i'll look at the tq converter & see whats up.

I took the 4 bolts out, but the torque converter & flex plate still move in unison, along with the motor, when i turn it. But, no, the torque converter doesnt spin freely.
Not good. The Torque converter must spin free. If not, the torque converter was not totally seated in the Transmission. Non lock up require you to put torque converter on transmission and rotate until it slides in the grove. It must be moved until it slides in about 1/2 inch or a little more. But then it must be turned until it slides in a second time of about 1/2 inch. If not it will jam and engine will not turn. This could also damage the front pump.

Good luck my thought is that it's not all the way in. It should spin freely. When you put the bolts in the tq should have moved to the flex plate.
Agree, but is the flex plate put on the engine back words? I know the bolts on the crank are drilled and spaced a little to prevent this but I do know if the flex plan can be bolted up back words. If it can, then even if the torque converter is in correct, it will still bind. Does anyone know if this can happen?

Not good. The Torque converter must spin free. If not, the torque converter was not totally seated in the Transmission. Non lock up require you to put torque converter on transmission and rotate until it slides in the grove. It must be moved until it slides in about 1/2 inch or a little more. But then it must be turned until it slides in a second time of about 1/2 inch. If not it will jam and engine will not turn. This could also damage the front pump.
The tq is pulled up against the flex plate. If i use a screwdriver in the teeth and pry it will rotate freely. But if i try to pry between the tq & the flex plate, they dont want to separate.

The torque converter should be able to get pushed back about 1/4" and should spin freely
Oops I see someone already made that suggestion
I think you should still be able to turn the engine over with a bar even with the converter not fully seated.
Don
The tq is pulled up against the flex plate. If i use a screwdriver in the teeth and pry it will rotate freely. But if i try to pry between the tq & the flex plate, they dont want to separate.
If it was me I would back the trans off and check the flex plate is it on correctly and then I would spin tq into place. If flex plate on backwards it will cause same problem. The tq must rest closely to pump and then mount the trans to block. Then move the tq forward and bolt it up. But first off after you move the trans back try and rotate the engine.

Doesnt sound good at all. You MUST be able to establish a gap between the flexplate and the torque converter. And if the bolts are out the converter should spin without the engine moving. It sounds like the converter wasnt installed all the way and tightening the trans mounting bolts wedged the converter against the front pump. I would loosen the bolts that hold the trans to the back of the engine and see if that improves the problem. And yes, damage to the trans is possible (if not likely).

If the tq didn't seat properly, or was stuck from moving forward & backward, , when i bolted it to the flex plate, could it have bowed the plate ?

Don

If it was me I would back the trans off and check the flex plate is it on correctly and then I would spin tq into place. If flex plate on backwards it will cause same problem. The tq must rest closely to pump and then mount the trans to block. Then move the tq forward and bolt it up. But first off after you move the trans back try and rotate the engine.
I just went into garage and tried to put a flex plate on back words. It would not bolt up at all. Not even close. So that should not be the problems. Since the TQ will not push back you have no choice but to unbolt trans and move trans away just a little until TQ moves freely. Once it moves freely, try to spin engine.

Auto Transport Service
Back