• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Simulators

6872n73

Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
I have been using Engine Builder Pro its pretty good for free but I want to see what everyone else is using.

How much was the software and what was the selling factor for you?

I have used several of the inexpensive ones. Currently have the more pricy ($500) Dynomation 6
Dynomation-6 Engine Simulation.

The Users manual is really helpful to how different selections will change the dyno results.
You can download the users manual for free here: https://www.motionsoftware.com/UpdaterData/Dynomation6/Dynomation-UsersManual.pdf

I also have excel spread sheets with many of the math formulas calculated in them. The SA Engine Math book by Jim Mcfarland has most of the formulas in that book, but there are others, and some are about the same, but might use slightly different constants, or include small variances like adding the piston ring to piston top volume into the compression ratio calculation.

Many of the math formulas are useful for getting info to plug into the simulator program.

Dynamation software sure looks nice but how does it compare to the less expensive versions?

Was it worth the money to you?

Dynamation software sure looks nice but how does it compare to the less expensive versions?

Was it worth the money to you?
More like educational software. You can make comparisons of different changes and see how they "should" change the power curve. It gives more info in the other tabs too, but some of the selections are pretty general, like intake manifolds. As I mentioned before, the user manual has a great deal of information and the best value (free.)

I also have PipeMax software, more for header design: PipeMax Professional Engine and Header Design

I have used the Performance trends engine analyzer software, but I think an older version. It is not on this computer, so haven't used it in a long time.

The Desktop Dyno, and Comps Dyno Sim are like dumbed down versions of the Dynomation 6, that don't do full wave analysis. All of them depend greatly on the head flow numbers as inputs.

As for "worth"? I guess it might depend on how often you use it, or also the educational value too.
When I first started, it was a great educational tool, now I can usually look at some specifications and have a decent idea of what the simulator or dyno results should be before even opening the software, but sometimes when you run across an unusual combination, the simulation can give me better understanding of what is going on.

Writing this I realize that all of them are worth it in the educational sense.
Likely not worth the cost if just looking to build one or two engines that use common recipes.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back