• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPI Epoxy vs Summit Racing Epoxy

Sam69sat

Local time
3:49 AM
Reaction score
Anyone ever used summit racing epoxy primer and are you happy with it? I've been told SPI epoxy primer is great but it's over 2x the price. What would be the benefit of SPI over Summit? Basically just need to sand down and coat bare metal.

$275 - SPI epoxy + activator 1:1
$125 - Summit Racing epoxy + activator 1:1

With some exceptions, the more you spend, the better it functions and the longer it will last.

So depending on your expectation of how long you want your project to hold up kinda determines how high of a quality product you will need.

Coat a piece with summit, coat a piece with SPI, put them outside for a year and then check. That’s the difference.

SPI is one of the best epoxies out there hands down. I have 0 complaints about it. But before you go and buy it, care to share what exactly you are doing. Sometimes people spend a lot more time and money than they need to, because they read some article that is way over kill for what they are doing.

I really like SPI epoxy as well. The only thing I can say negative about it is the 1/2 hour induction time. PPG sells some nice epoxy primer with zero induction time, but it is like 3 times the cost of SPI.

some epoxies sand easily and can be used exclusively throughout the job.......SPI is one of these

I really like Limco LP20, a BASF product.......may be a little cheaper that SPI

just coating bare metal, use the cheap stuff......if it's sitting outside, check the data sheet about UV protection

Auto Transport Service
Back