• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever buy a car through AutoTrader?

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
I am seriously considering a Private Party car purchase through AutoTrader. Still in dialog with the seller and will not see the car until Friday.

I have been reading up on the Private Party buying. AutoTrader 'confirms' no fraud on the seller, and I can link a bank account to AutoTrader and they will serve as a 'escrow' type service for the sale.

I thought Hagerty provided escrow services, but they partner with a third party. It is only $300 on a $35,000 transaction, so I may go that route.

Thanks for any advice.

I just did a month ago. Bought my hellcat challenger this way from a private party. It was really quite easy. I talked to the lady who owned it on the phone a few times. Many texts, pics, and videos were shared. She took a little less than her asking price so I used the make offer function. She accepted. Then you're on the clock to get the money sent to autotrader. It helps to have your financing in advance but you can use autotraders options as well. The rates weren't good though. However, an issue I ran into with my bank was they would only send the money to where the other party had their loan through. Not autotrader. So I told the bank to pound sand and found money elsewhere to make a cash deal. I don't know what other banks would do and didn't pursue it further since I had a backup plan.

Once autotrader has the cash you either arrange shipping or go pick it up. I had it shipped. Once I got notified the car was getting loaded from my shipper I let autotrader know which releases the funds for the seller and gives me temporary plates. Autotrader pays off the bank note for the seller and receives the title from the bank. They then send it to me with a whole packet of everything I need to transfer the title.

Rated 10/10, would do it again. It sounds complicated (its not) and it helps to do some leg work up front but was a much better experience than going to a dealership in my opinion.

Thanks.

I actually read through all of the fine print. Looks like legitimate sales and purchase tool. I can link my bank account for the cash sale.

Going to see the car Saturday morning.

Autotrader - page unavailable

Last edited:
Well.......I have spent the last 5, or 6 weekends driving 2019 through 2022 used Charger Hemi. Both 5.7 and 392 cars, Daytona package, plus, or base models and cars from 4K to 50K miles including CarMax, Private Party, and dealers in Tucson and Phoenix.

I cannot find anything I like for under $50,000.

So I made the logical move and bought a 2009 Grand Marquis with 27K miles sight unseen off AutoTrader. The process is easy and AutoTrader protects the buyer (this was his deceased mother's car and AutoTrader demanded proof of POA and Death, etc before the sale could proceed). Now granted the car just shipped from Fayetteville AR about an hour ago, but the seller took pictures before the car was loaded and watched the trailer drive off. I might be disappointed in 30 hours (that is the delivery estimate), but I wanted to say I was impressed with AutoTrader!

I'll let you know if I made a stupid mistake here soon.

Those GMQ‘S aren’t bad cars, 4.6 is pretty decent no race car but just a good solid car. Just not a hellcat..

Kids are really into those big Fords these days. A V8 that will smoke the tires all day and they're generally in good shape and cheap.

Sounds like us many years ago!
We've got 3 high schoolers working for us driving those cars. They pretty much replace the rear tires every other week. They're actually talking about putting a racing league together with these cars at a local track.

This is grand marquis number 4 for me. Probably my last as I'm not getting any younger. I'll resume the charger search next summer (and hopefully be under 50 grand).

Buying a car through AutoTrader can be a convenient and reliable way to find your dream ride. It's reassuring to know that they offer escrow services to help safeguard your transaction against fraud. Plus, having the option to link your bank account adds another layer of security. As for advice, I'd say trust your instincts and take your time to evaluate the situation carefully. If something doesn't feel right, don't hesitate to ask questions or seek further clarification. And remember, if you ever need to transport your new car internationally, www.a1autotransport.com/international-car-shipping/ offers reliable services to help make the process smooth and stress-free.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back