• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

exhaust studs for 915 heads?

goose69

Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
Wondering if you guys have found a supplier or who you went through for exhaust studs. I have a set of 915 heads on my 440 and was looking online for some stud kits and I am using headers. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Just buy them from NAPA. 3/8X16(coarse) on the head side and 3/8X24 (fine) on the header end. Take a good look at your headers to make sure you can use studs at all 12 positions. You can get trick ones from ARP if you've got money to spare. I do recommend their thread sealing compound on the studs that enter the water jackets, usually the end ones on both heads.

You can just use the stock length studs and probably find them at the auto parts store in the Dorman bin. That's what I have with headers and they work. The amount of 3/8-24 thread that sticks past the port surface is about 3/4 - 1". Use sealer on the 3/8-16 side in the head.

You know what's dumb? The parts stores close by don't have much in their dorman bins anymore. Even the guys behind the counter are not that helpful with this. They said all they have is prepackaged items, stupid! So I went online to see about ordering a kit, wanted 1 with longer and shorter studs because of close clearance with header tubes. I was gonna resort to bolts in some of the middle holes but found out even those are open to the water jackets, I thought it was only the end ones lke on my 906 and 452 heads, dumb dumb me.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I ALWAYS use sealant on the head side, wanna make sure that cool down stuff stays in there. Thanks for the reminder tho. By the way, found good ways of keeping those nuts tight? I've used those heat treated lock washers before but they have still backed off.

I use NEW (as in never used before) split lock washers and never had an issue. Just crank them down good and give them another tug after a few heat cycles. On my old 68 Mustang I did the same with the Tri Y's and ran them for 90K miles and never had an issue. And I didn't even use header or collector gaskets. Just high temp orange silicone.

I use NEW (as in never used before) split lock washers and never had an issue. Just crank them down good and give them another tug after a few heat cycles. On my old 68 Mustang I did the same with the Tri Y's and ran them for 90K miles and never had an issue. And I didn't even use header or collector gaskets. Just high temp orange silicone.

Cool Meep-Meep, thanks. I have some new in package heat treated lock washers so I will try them with this. Now that I think of it the others I used were probably a used set I had lying around.

ok, everytime I go into a parts store I wanna drag whoever it is from behind the coounter and beat them with a rusty camshaft!! I went into NAPA again today to pick up or order an intake valley pan gasket and see if they had any other options for exhaust studs. Well he had NO options for exhaust studs and just suggested Summit racing. Then I asked for a Fel-Pro gasket #1215 because they sell fel-pro and he said that number is no good of which he proceeded with the whole "what's this going on" question. I told him, Well........its a mid 70's 440 block with '67 440 heads and I wanted the performance gasket without the heat cross over port hole. He rolled his eyes, sighed and said I'll look it up on the computer. Guess what... the computer couldn't help him, go figure. I asked if he had a fel-pro catalog and said no. He then told me he could only get a factory gasket but it is the same, you just have to punch out the port if you want it. um, yea right, well he couldn't find that either so his suggestion was "you'll have to call Summit Racing to ask them if they can get this because they (fel-pro) don't make that".
I had to walk out before blowing a gasket (that they obviously wouldn't have).
Thanks for the other suggestions and links guys!
I think its time for a drink now.

I've found that when you're after something like a fastener or fitting it's best to go in the store armed w/ the part number for it, it's harder for them to shrug and say they don't have it when their computers tell them they have 10 in stock :headbang:

Wondering if you guys have found a supplier or who you went through for exhaust studs. I have a set of 915 heads on my 440 and was looking online for some stud kits and I am using headers. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

These guys have all mopar fasteners. I got mine there. www.rtspecialties.net

I've found that when you're after something like a fastener or fitting it's best to go in the store armed w/ the part number for it, it's harder for them to shrug and say they don't have it when their computers tell them they have 10 in stock :headbang:

I usually try and do that but when they say their computer doesn't recognize the number but low and behold the same parts chain down the road says its in their system it makes a guy go crazy!!
Btw, Went to a hardware store I used to frequent but don't get to that side of town much anymore and they had bins full of studs for exhaust. also had the hardened lock washers and nuts. I was able to grab many sizes of studs to make everything work just the way I wanted/needed it to!
Thanks again for all the suggestions guys! I might be using some of your suggestions for my roadrunner when its time though.

And I didn't even use header or collector gaskets. Just high temp orange silicone.[/QUOTE]

same here....no gaskets just Hi Temp Orge Sili'

:icon_cherry: DSC_0071.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back