• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Tim for this wonderful gift! I finally got a break from the Mrs. to tackle a "sticky" project.....

After doing more research on this item these were placed on the passenger vent window on randomly selected cars from the line. Once these cars reached the dealerships they were to be removed and thrown away. If anyone has more information on these please chime in....

I love the look of it........

IMG_1868.JPG
IMG_1869.JPG
IMG_1870.JPG

Maybe Tim will be present in Chicago at MCACN to take a picture with his gift:thumbsup:

Last edited:
According to David Wise, the "Quality Assurance" decals were installed on cars that were pulled aside and a road test were performed on the vehicle for a particular reason. These stickers were found from 1962 through 1978. Much more common to find is the "Road Ready" decal which was used from the late 70s through the mid 80s.

According to David Wise, the "Quality Assurance" decals were installed on cars that were pulled aside and a road test were performed on the vehicle for a particular reason. These stickers were found from 1962 through 1978. Much more common to find is the "Road Ready" decal which was used from the late 70s through the mid 80s.
Good info.....I pulled the X aside when it was finished and gave it a road test....I just finally got around to put the sticker on.........

However, I am sure my road test was unacceptable to 69 line standards......Passed in my books.....:D

Was the "road ready" a red decal?

The "Road Ready" was black with a goldish brown border and lettering. I recall these from say '79 to the mid '80s. The earlier version was the same blue tint on a white backing. The mechanic who did the service prep work of the new vehicle would sign off on the vehicle and date it for compliance purposes. I also recall a "Quality Assurance" decal that Dodge used which was red.

As a kid who grew up hanging out in the service department, I only wish that I had the opportunity to go back and document so much of the stuff that was available back in the day.

The "Road Ready" was black with a goldish brown border and lettering. I recall these from say '79 to the mid '80s. The earlier version was the same blue tint on a white backing. The mechanic who did the service prep work of the new vehicle would sign off on the vehicle and date it for compliance purposes. I also recall a "Quality Assurance" decal that Dodge used which was red.

As a kid who grew up hanging out in the service department, I only wish that I had the opportunity to go back and document so much of the stuff that was available back in the day.
If we only knew.......good info Richard thabks....

After doing more research on this item these were placed on the passenger vent window on randomly selected cars from the line. Once these cars reached the dealerships they were to be removed and thrown away.

Knowing how bad Chrysler's build quality was back then, I can see why they only put them on "selected" cars and tore them off before the customer saw it. Knowing how bad the paint was, I would guaran-damn-tee that a 69 Daytona never came with one.

Knowing how bad Chrysler's build quality was back then, I can see why they only put them on "selected" cars and tore them off before the customer saw it. Knowing how bad the paint was, I would guaran-damn-tee that a 69 Daytona never came with one.
Or any black car......lol.....

My Dad said that if we could have seen this car the day it left the factory......He could have done a better paint job with a paint roller, lol....

Keep in mind he worked evenings at the St Louis plant in the 60's.....

Got my original sales brochures together......

The first one with the white background is a rare brochure. Mainly because it is the Spanish version.....very few survived the times...The other two are the American versions.....

Any thoughts on how to display these with the X?

IMG_1871.JPG
IMG_1872.JPG
IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1874.jpg
IMG_1875.JPG
IMG_1876.jpg

Those are in fantastic condition! Scan a few pages or make a copy of the entire magazine and display. Keep the original pressed flat in a frame with archival paper that is acid free.

Those are in fantastic condition! Scan a few pages or make a copy of the entire magazine and display. Keep the original pressed flat in a frame with archival paper that is acid free.
Thanks Roger

The American versions come up once and a awhile for good prices for now.....

I would rather have the originals display with an original car.....I am just not sure what's the best way. Either individually framed or just laid on the console/trunk mat......

So after many discussions over the placement of heater hoses........I have had to succumb to the general consensus....

The general consensus is based on what is in the service manual and what has been noted on original cars. I have been brow beaten enough over this area on the X. I have examples of original car and other restorers out there that the hoses did not cross. However, the service manual stated and shows that they crossed them and critics in the OE world stick with that as the gold standard. The things is Ma Mopar via drunk, tired, rushed line workers made simple mistake that have no effect as in this situation.

So to appease the judges and the critics.....I switched them.....I will say it was hard to deviate what the X originally had these placed just to appease the masses......It is what it is...

The 1527 hose goes from the rear outlet of the pump housing, over or under and attaches to the far left heater core tube facing the firewall.....1605 goes from the front outlet on the pump housing to the right heater core tube facing the firewall......

First pic was prior to removal.....Tape is cheap and paint is not....Maneuvering those claims off can cause you to tap the firewall with the pliers....

IMG_1952.JPG
IMG_1953.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

Well it seems like the rim fiasco continues.......The shop restored them initially and once I placed them on the car and tightened the acorns the paint cracked and chipped off....The main culprit was they left the spray filler in the openings and when the nut grabbed that was all she wrote.....So called the shop and brought them back....They had to redo the faces and I got them back and placed them on with no problems....

So while working on the hoses today something looked funny on the passenger rim.....Looked like thick dust all over it...Grabbed a rag and wiped it and no effect....My heart sank....Rubbed my hand on it and it was a ripple effect. All four rims exhibited this....Ruined my day to say the least....I grabbed a rags and some denatured alcohol and rubbed and area and the dang rag was black, no kidding....

Now I am in Ohio and the flipping shop is in Texas.....However, there is no 3rd time charm here.....You botch it up twice and I am done......

Now I have to dismount the tires again......Then gets the rims redone..........

Honestly, I love the steelies but I wish it had magnums right now......

Stay tuned more to come in relation to the rim saga......

Ohh and I will contact the shop in Texas.......

IMG_1956.JPG
IMG_1957.JPG

What do you think about powder coating them Justin?

What do you think about powder coating them Justin?
Great idea Tim....but the judges will deduct for any powder coated part and they can tell....Has to be original finishes.....

If it was not for that I would powder coat them....That is what I did to the steelies on my charger......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back