• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you explain to me what your comparing here, I am lost? The cars are completely 2 different body styles and

Lol, no I'm not going to explain why I'm comparing two totally different cars. Just observing the history and evolution. :D

I never saw any zerks knocked off working at the dealerships, mid 70s through the early 80s. I remember the elimination of them, starting with hex headed plugs then none at all in some joints. Interesting read.

Lol, no I'm not going to explain why I'm comparing two totally different cars. Just observing the history and evolution. :D

I never saw any zerks knocked off working at the dealerships, mid 70s through the early 80s. I remember the elimination of them, starting with hex headed plugs then none at all in some joints. Interesting read.
Ahh...now I see what your comparing....

I have pics of the X, survivors showing the broken zerks....and some that didn't get broken off....Plants did things differently and so did the line workers...I think they were used from 66-72 IIRC....Also, NOS ball joints state on the paperwork included to breakaway the zerk fitting once greased....

The Zerks have been debated and debated as to break off or not.......

Learn something new everyday. I can see the reason for doing so. I've seen broken ones before, some with the spring still sticking out of the fitting. Mainly the result of someone over abusing a hammer in the same area or a slipped wrench.

I remember reading about a Corvette restoration once. The owner tracked down and bought the exact grease gun end, from the factory and the factory grease just to make the perfect "soft ice cream" tail on top of the zerk when the gun was pulled off. That's extreme but necessary to some restorers.

Learn something new everyday. I can see the reason for doing so. I've seen broken ones before, some with the spring still sticking out of the fitting. Mainly the result of someone over abusing a hammer in the same area or a slipped wrench.

I remember reading about a Corvette restoration once. The owner tracked down and bought the exact grease gun end, from the factory and the factory grease just to make the perfect "soft ice cream" tail on top of the zerk when the gun was pulled off. That's extreme but necessary to some restorers.
I have some rare NOS air, lol....

I love it when people say the Mopar OE guys are picky.....they have never ran into the Vette guys.....

I didn't wipe.my zerks when I pulled the gun off but I guess the channel locks took care of the "tail" yesterday....lol....

I have pics of the X, survivors showing the broken zerks....and some that didn't get broken off....Plants did things differently and so did the line workers...I think they were used from 66-72 IIRC....Also, NOS ball joints state on the paperwork included to breakaway the zerk fitting once greased....

The Zerks have been debated and debated as to break off or not.......

No matter, that was a dopey thing for Chrysler to do.

And then there were the Ferd’s with the flat-headed plugs that to have regular fittings installed all because the original grease was good for 20-30,000 miles? Also if the spring was sticking out that wasn’t a double checkball setup.

Anyone want to take bets on whether the joints on the X will have to be greased again, lol....

I agree, they did some strange things back in the day...The zerks being one of them...

Marketing hype.... Justine unless you’re totally unlike most people, those joints will need a few “re-greasings “. 3-5000 miles was the rule ‘way back’..

And then there were the Ferd’s with the flat-headed plugs that to have regular fittings installed all because the original grease was good for 20-30,000 miles? Also if the spring was sticking out that wasn’t a double checkball setup.

The ferds had that dark grease that turned to concrete and you couldn't regrease them if you wanted to. Had to take a torch to the joints to melt it. Then you discovered that they were worn out.

The ferds had that dark grease that turned to concrete and you couldn't regrease them if you wanted to. Had to take a torch to the joints to melt it. Then you discovered that they were worn out.
What? Now we need a separate spot on the forum for anyone that lived through that awful time before EPA and other numerous agencies?LOL

Marketing hype.... Justine unless you’re totally unlike most people, those joints will need a few “re-greasings “. 3-5000 miles was the rule ‘way back’..
Jeff

While I am alive...it will never need re greasing....lol

After it's first debut to the public....It will venture somewhere else and be there for a year or more on display.....To just give you an idea....The car and the story will be shared for all whom sees it......

Justin

Interesting information.....I bet that was a wonderful smell in the morning....

bI bet that was a wonderful smell in the morning....

Kind of like.............

maxresdefault.jpg

Several months ago I had the issues with the bumper guard not fitting to the bumper. The initial chrome place botched the NOS set of cards I sent and they didn't fit. So in turn I sent the bumper and another NOS set to Paul's Chrome.....

I have used Pail's for many chrome parts for the X...So I really wasn't concerned...The gent from Paul's communicated exactly what they were going to do and set a relative timeframe around the 1st of the new year. He said the problem was what I originally thought. That one side got straightened back in the day but not well enough for the guard...Hence is why the original guards were gone....The guy at Pauls said they will straighten and fix the curve to get the guard to fit versus cutting the guard. They also smooth the edges on the guards that rest on the bumper so it doesn't scratch it.

A month and a half went buy and I checked in and they said it will be there before Xmas....Guess what showed up today!

Have to give it to Pauls....Did exactly what they said they would do and committed to their deadline! Top notch service...

IMG_1650.JPG
IMG_1651.JPG
IMG_1652.JPG

Time to put the bumper together:thumbsup:

The license plate assembly is a true NOS unit. Notice the factory plating....

The license plate light and assembly is a complete NOS unit....Notice the plating...

Original reverse lights were restored and polished. NOS glass lenses...

NOS guards rechromed(finally fit) It was a complete kit with bumpers and hardware. Notice the gold cad on the back of the bumpers and PN....

IMG_1655.JPG
IMG_1656.JPG
IMG_1657.JPG
IMG_1658.JPG
IMG_1659.JPG
IMG_1660.JPG
IMG_1661.JPG
IMG_1662.JPG
IMG_1663.JPG
IMG_1664.JPG

The specific gold cad nuts for the bumpers are from the NOS kit. All other hardware was sent out for phosphate...

The "flat" head bumper bolts came from Bill Rolik

The 2 license plate bumpers are NOS

IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1666.JPG
IMG_1667.JPG
IMG_1668.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_1670.JPG
IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1672.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG
IMG_1674.JPG

Finally, after a ton of $$ 2 shops and over 7 months....It is finally assembled!!

Cannot tell you how happy I am! Thanks Paul's!

IMG_1678.jpg
IMG_1679.JPG
IMG_1680.JPG

That tag and light assembly is amazing. That is the first tag assembly that I have seen NOS. Do you happen to have the small kit that was placed in the glove compartment that had the nylon nuts and license plate screws?

That tag and light assembly is amazing. That is the first tag assembly that I have seen NOS. Do you happen to have the small kit that was placed in the glove compartment that had the nylon nuts and license plate screws?
Thanks Richard...it was the first one I have seen as well

The frame was without packaging if you can believe that based on shape....For the price I should have gotten a box and free installation....lol...

Now if you have that rare baggie....I would be interested in getting one from ya.....I cannot recall even seeing one...

Looks great, do you have a picture of the rubber bumpers for the license plate frame. I'm not sure I have the correct ones in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back