• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

frame connectors self made

67belvedere/225

Local time
4:09 PM
Reaction score
I made myself some frame connectors from square tubing.
I know they made the custom ones but , this is a hot rod not a collectors item
I want to drive it as much as possible.
what has other members done would like to see

IMG_3858.JPG IMG_3859.JPG IMG_3860.JPG IMG_3861.JPG IMG_3862.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG
042.JPG
IMG_1646.JPG
042.JPG
I've done two cars so far. Both have 2"x2" square tube welded to floor in both cars (just for a short span).
Mike

2x2’s on mine since early 70’s. No floor welding, but really helped.

no floor welding , but I did weed it to the bottom braces of the seat so now that 's really solid
the car is really not rusty at all and very solid I just like the fact that the front and back are connected and tougher now
nice job mike ,

I bought the U.S. Car connectors and fit them to the bottom of thr floor pans and Mig welded them in.
They don't weigh much because they are thin material, but by welding them to the floor pan they're
alot stronger than just tying in the front sub-frame to the rear sub-frame. By making a "Box", they
are unbeatable! Now, I don't have my car out on the road yet, but I've talked to alot of people who
race the B-bodies and they swear by them. If my car was a Ragtop, I wouldn't drive it on the street
without them. Just my 2cents!

Looks good, nice work.
That is a unique exhaust pipe arrangement. Also, what the heck transmission is that??? It is not a 904 or 727. The pan looks like a GM, ATF cooler lines on the right side...maybe a Powererglide or 700R4 ??

I bought the U.S. Car connectors and fit them to the bottom of thr floor pans and Mig welded them in.
They don't weigh much because they are thin material, but by welding them to the floor pan they're
alot stronger than just tying in the front sub-frame to the rear sub-frame. By making a "Box", they
are unbeatable! Now, I don't have my car out on the road yet, but I've talked to alot of people who
race the B-bodies and they swear by them. If my car was a Ragtop, I wouldn't drive it on the street
without them. Just my 2cents!
I can see both ways to weld, but mine were 1/8” (?) regular tubing so didn’t worry about floor attachment.

Mine look just like 493 Mike’s, 2x2 tubing 1/8” wall. Works fine, but I’m not tubbed and running slicks.

You didn't cut the rear floor so the tubes gobthru the floor board. I have seen all kinds of connectors and would like to do mine but really didn't want to cut out rear floors.

good eye Kern dog , it is a over drive on my slant six , gm 700r4 , was a bastard to get it in. I would not have cut the body on a coupe.
but it s a hot rot so I cut the cross member where the trans mount goes , and removed so meat and reinforced it where the transmission won't rub
and I was doing a rest on a car I would for sure buy the ones that hug the floor it is better and proper but this will make a huge difference anyway
Monday I'm going to go get it aligned . December I removed there steering box and got Firm feel to reddit. and installed there upper a arms
got some mopar performance torsion bars , did the inner outer tie rod ends the up grade ones from the bigger car.
and a line lock
the tranny swap , I'm running 3 55 gears in the diff and have a 2500 hight stall torque, I laid out some rubber yesterday day
with out the line lock so I'm happy , can't wait to get her settled in and play with my carbs and the kick down
it s getting warmer now and hardly any snow , so I'm all ready for. the season

You didn't cut the rear floor so the tubes go thru the floor board. I have seen all kinds of connectors and would like to do mine but really didn't want to cut out rear floors.

You didn't cut the rear floor so the tubes gobthru the floor board. I have seen all kinds of connectors and would like to do mine but really didn't want to cut out rear floors.
no cutting of floors, you can do what I did , depends on your car , like if it s super clean and nice I would buy the ones that are molded to the floor
if its a driver and rough well go my route. In 50 years , someone can restore it and cut it out! and do the real job
when I head back to the shop Monday I will take more pics of how they fit , so you can see and what to expect, if you want

My GTX has the same square tubing ran from the torsion bar cross member the to rear frame rail tied into the seat supports. Looks sturdy enough, no cutting of the floor either. It was done by the previous owner and I left it in.

Auto Transport Service
Back