• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From bad to worse... whats the magic part number? (Could really use your expertise)

pjoll84

Local time
6:25 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to sound so frantic but I am trying to get this motorhome on the road for this weekends camping trip. I've completed everything and came to a screeching halt.

I got the power steering pump fitted and mounted. I've got the steering box fitted and mounted... but I am missing the fitting that goes between power steering box pressure side... to hose. I have a male fitting thats screwed into the power steering pump.... and a flared female with nut that doesnt attach to anything... does anyone know the magic number or part number or homedepot fitting? or what thread size... or name of the part to use when scouring the city for this thing?

All the guys at the parts desk are under 25 and look at me like I'm nuts half the time since my cars are over 20 years old lol

To get help, you'd need to spill some information.
What Brand of motorhome?
What engine?
What power steering pump?
What steering box?
Nobody here can help if you leave so many bits of information out.

To get help, you'd need to spill some information.
What Brand of motorhome?
What engine?
What power steering pump?
What steering box?
Nobody here can help if you leave so many bits of information out.
My bad....

1972 Dodge B200 with a 318... the motorhome is a C class 19 foot.
1976 B200 Power steering box
1974 Power steering pump... I think its a saginaw? TRW? (Picture Enclosed)

IMG_0804.jpeg

So my hose goes in to the lower part of the pump just fine... but as I said, the power steering box I got from a yard, is missing the fitting... Unless there is a power steering hose with two male fittings on either side i could use?

hmm... I appreciate your help... and I'm not trying to be argumentative

All of the rock auto pictures and other online shops show a male threaded side and a female side and Ive tried searching 72 all the way up to 76... like this Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

I am happy to go out and buy a pressure hose with two male ends... I just can't find a part number.

Conversely, If i find a hose like this, it says it doesnt fit my vehicle. sigh.
https://www.amazon.ca/Edelmann-8033...0&psc=1&mcid=0e26954f51633f4785d5213beaff9a02

Trucks and vans may be different than cars. I'm far more familiar with the cars and this is a car site.

hey hey, sorry, I'm just looking for some help. Sadly... Dodge B200's are not exactly the sexiest car in the world lol and the forums are very limited. I've had a lot of a great help so far, not trying to be ungrateful.

Go to a hydraulic shop and have them make what you need.

"Go to a hydraulic shop and have them make what you need."
Agree with @Jerry Hall
The shop may not have to
make a custom hose
for you, and may be able to
suggest different fittings
or adapters needed to
complete your installation.

Can we get pics of the end of the pressure hose and this fitting in the gearbox?

All the guys at the parts desk are under 25 and look at me like I'm nuts half the time since my cars are over 20 years old lol

My oldest daily driver will be 30 this fall....next will be 29 and then 28. 30 years ago I was getting those looks whenever I went in for something to fit my 66 Belvedere!

FWIW I agree go to a hydraulic shop, but they don't have to make anything.. What you need is a standard fitting male threads on noth ends... the end that threads into the steering box is O ring boss and the end the hose attaches to is JIC... Take your hose with you so they can match that end, I believe it's a #5 the end that threads into the box I think is #4 .....

Figure out what you need to get it together. If you have to cut and weld a fitting to make it work have the shop weld it together. 7018 hot 3/32 at 85amp will take care of it. If you know the shop and the guys can carry the heat with stick 6010 root hot 3/32 cap and she’s good.

We do that all the time on hydraulic fittings that carry way more pressure.

I hate to say this but the description of that fitting says it fits a Saginaw pump. I thought you were good on that end. I thought the box fitting was a o ring type, not an inverted flare. I don't have a power box to look at.

I hate to say this but the description of that fitting says it fits a Saginaw pump. I thought you were good on that end. I thought the box fitting was a o ring type, not an inverted flare. I don't have a power box to look at.
There are a few variations.. early cars used a #4 inverted flare up till around 67? next version was a #5 inverted flare till 72 and starting in 73 they went to a O ringed bubble flare...

The steering box has a O ring boss connection that on later boxes still accepts O ring boss fittings but is also machined to accept an O ring bubble flare...

If you look at his line

that is a female inverted flare fitting with a 5/16 steel line... 5/16 = #5 inverted flare....

This is what you’re missing. Pretty much every Mopar built from ‘67 through at least ‘81 has one.

IMG_6433.jpeg

A hydraulic shop will have that fitting it’s an ORB to JIC It”s a 1/2-20 for the ORB and you will have to verify the hose to be 1/4 or 5/16 JIC

Thank you! I just don’t know what to call it… want to sell that one in the photo ?
Sure, I’ll sell it. I probably have at least five laying around. Obviously won’t get you going this weekend, though.

Well, I got tired of waiting around for the varying sizes and years of Mopar fittings so I ordered a 5/16th male fitting for 8 bucks on Amazon.

Put some plumbers tape on it, an o ring and snugged it down. Drove it around all afternoon, no leaks. It’s not stock but it’s fixed for now.

Thanks for all your suggestions and patience… I know with a van, im the odd man out but appreciate all your help!

Auto Transport Service
Back